When you get older wearing the correct, supportive and comfortable footwear is absolutely vital for any situation or occasion.
Most older people already suffer from a foot condition, knee, ankle or back pain and therefore need orthotic footwear to reduce the symptoms caused by these conditions.
Not wearing the appropriate footwear for walking can cause much damage to your feet, knees, and ankles and even worsen lower back pain.
Advantages of Walking and Exercise for the Elderly
It is advised to do some moderate exercising when you get older, walking is a great way to stay fit and strong and also an excellent form of recreation for the elderly.
Here are some great advantages to walking and exercising if you are older;
- It improves your mental alertness and health.
- It reduces the risk of disease and other health conditions.
- It will keep your weight stable.
- It strengthens your muscles making you less susceptible to serious damage when you are injured, and disease.
- You will feel fit, energetic and healthy.
If you decide that you are going to be walking as a form of exercise or recreation, it is vital that you choose an appropriate pair of footwear for your foot type and condition that is meant for walking.
What to Look For in A Good Pair of Walking Shoes
Motion control is the amount of stability a shoe provides when you are walking. A stable shoe will help to support your ankle and arches when you are walking and adjust the heel motion to reduce stress and impact on the heels. Cushioned motion control is essential especially for older men and women who overpronate.
Breathable and Lightweight Material
The material that the shoe is made from is very important, as with any walking shoe you would expect it to be breathable and lightweight. When you have a foot condition or painful bunions, a shoe that is made from soft and flexible materials that do not put added pressure on the affected areas is also very important.
Cushioning and Support
Good cushioning and support is also a must in any walking shoe, and in a walking shoe for the elderly woman, even more so. Make sure that your walking shoe provides adequate cushioning that absorbs shock, and reduce stress on the feet, as well as providing a comfortable fit. Good support from the outsole and midsole will ensure that there is less strain on your feet and lower limbs and that you are more comfortable.
Reviews: Top-Rated Walking Shoes for Elderly
After extensive research we have come across some exceptional choices in Walking shoes for the elderly woman, you cannot go wrong with any one of these picks;1
Orthopedic Dress Shoes
Here are Reviews for the Men’s Model and Here are Reviews for the Women’s Model.
- Orthotic Support – Premium orthotic insole, included in these shoes.
- Easy Gait – A lightweight air cushioning system of the sole that softens step and adds spring to your step.
- Extra Depth Design – Soft, non-binding upper with extra depth design and wide toe box eliminates pressure on bunions, hammer toes, and other foot deformation.
Walking and Casual Shoes
The Skechers is a comfortable slip-on shoe that is not only a great walking shoe but also a fashionable and stylish shoe for everyday casual wear.
- Available in Soft Suede or leather.
- A synthetic sole that is supportive and offers good grip on many floor surfaces.
- A 0.75-inch heel for improved stability and shock absorption.
- A moccasin-stitched seam for a soft and comfortable fit.
- The cushioned memory foam footbed will give your hours of comfort.
- Available in a variety of color designs.
The Propet is a sandal made for walking in the warm summer weather. This sandal is available in three different widths from narrow to wide to accommodate any foot type and shape.
- Manufactured from full grain leather with three adjustable straps for a customized fit.
- A soft and breathable leather lining.
- A cushioned antimicrobial footbed to keep your feet healthy and dry.
- The polyurethane sole gives energizing shock absorption with every step that you take.
- Available in a range of colorful designs.
You can trust these shoes for all-day comfort and support even if you have a foot condition or very sensitive feet. A perfect shoe for older people who still enjoy walking.
- The padded tongue and collar offer a cushioned fit.
- Synthetic uppers with durable leather overlays.
- A chafing preventative lining.
- An anatomical Precise return cushioned insole lining that reduces shock on impact.
- The compression molded EVA midsole offers exceptional comfort and support.
- A slip-resistant rubber outsole to prevent falling.
Wash and Wear Walking Shoes
The Propet 3851 is a slip-on walking shoe that is comfortable and supportive as well as easy to clean for everyday use.
Here are Reviews for the Men’s Model and Here are Reviews for the Women’s Model.
- Available in extra wide sizes that can accommodate any foot condition.
- The quilted leather uppers are supple with a soft and flexible fit and easy to wash.
- This shoe is lightweight, breathable and extremely durable.
- The rubber outsole ensures secure traction on all walking surfaces.
- The EVA midsole absorbs shock and reduces pressure on the feet and lower limbs.
- The external and internal heel counters give great support.
- A rocker profile that helps to encourage natural walking motion.
- The flex grooves will give you enhanced mobility.
- The collar is padded and made of stretchable Nylon for a better fit.
- A removable cushioned orthotic for improved comfort and support.
- Durable and firm arch support.
- Available in six different color designs.
Velcro Walking Sneakers
An excellent choice for both young and old, this walking shoe is comfortable and supportive enough for any foot shape, type or condition.
- Soft and supple genuine leather uppers with an adjustable velcro closure.
- A breathable brushed nylon lining that is gentle against the skin.
- The built-in heel stabilizer keeps you well footed.
- An Ortholite insole with plush memory foam for the ultimate in comfort.
- A synthetic sole that ensures good grip and shock absorption.
The Saucony ProGrid offer all the comfort and support features required by both men and women who have a few miles on their feet already. This shoe is available in a narrow, medium, and wide fit to accommodate any foot size, shape or condition.
- The Flexible ForeFoot stretch zone and full grain leather uppers offer a comfortable and customized fit for any foot shape.
- A compression molded EVA midsole will allow for better support and cushioning.
- The added Strobel board and rearfoot and forefoot HRC cushioning ensure that every foot strike is met with responsive cushioning.
- An XXTM 900 outsole that features Walk Trac technology will ensure that you do not slip and fall.
- Heel ProGrid and Respon Tek technology gives better shock absorbency and returns energy to the feet.
- This shoe is available in three great colors.
Walking Shoes for Long Walks
The Propet Stability Walker is an exceptional walking shoe that has a wider fit and some superb comfort and support feature making it the ideal walking shoe for the elderly.
- Perforated full grain leather uppers to keep your feet dry and well ventilated.
- The brushed Nylon lining ensures more comfort.
- An easy lacing system for fast efficient lacing.
- A comfortable and supportive padded collar and tongue.
- The EVA midsole ensures the best arch support.
- A rubber sole to prevent slips and falls and provide good traction.
- A very supportive and comfortable walking shoe that will make one of the Best Shoes for Walking All Day.
Velcro Closure Walking Shoes
All in all, this shoe is comfortable and easy to put on and take off. Ideal for older feet that need that extra comfort and protection.
- Durable and soft leather uppers with two Velcro closures for a customized fit.
- A polyurethane midsole for better support and cushioning.
- A cushioned and supportive insole and foam padded tongue and collar.
- The durable outsole offers good grip and shock absorbency.
Orthopedic Walking Shoe for Foot Conditions
If you suffer from diabetes or any other foot conditions such as hammertoes, bunions, arthritis, edema or even heel pain, then Dr. Comfort is perfect for you.
- Soft and supple leather uppers with a velcro and lace closing.
- Removable Gel plus insoles for cushioned comfort.
- Available in a variety of widths and sizes for every foot type.
- An athletic shoe that offers good arch support and ample shock absorbency.
- The sturdy outsole will keep you fir on your feet.
Walking Accesories for the Elderly1
Adjustable Collapsible Walking Stick
Easy on Easy off Sock Aid Kit
Long Handled Shoe Horn
From the list mentioned above, you are sure to find a shoe that is a perfect fit with all the features that you require.Just because time is taking its toll on you does not mean it must slow you down, with the right equipment and footwear you can enjoy life to the fullest!
Index Table: Top Walking Shoes for Seniors
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Orthofeet® - Orthopedic Dress Shoes||Orthofeet||98|
|2||Skechers® - Walking and Casual Shoes||Skechers||95|
|3||Propet® - Walking Sandals||Propet||96|
|4||Lakai® - Casual Sneakers||Lakai||94|
|5||Propet® - Wash and Wear Walking Shoes||Propet||97|
|6||Propet® - Velcro Walking Sneakers||Propet||96|
|7||Saucony® - Athletic Shoes||Saucony||98|
|8||Propet® - Walking Shoes for Long Walks||Propet||97|
|9||New Balance® - Velcro Closure Walking Shoes||New Balance||95|
|10||Dr. Comfort® - Orthopedic Walking Shoe for Foot Conditions||Dr. Comfort||97|
|1||Duro Med® - Adjustable Collapsible Walking Stick||Duro Med||97|
|2||Allstar Innovations® - Easy on Easy off Sock Aid Kit||Allstar Innovations||97|
|3||VIVE® - Long Handled Shoe Horn||VIVE||97|
Table of Contents
- Advantages of Walking and Exercise for the Elderly
- What to Look For in A Good Pair of Walking Shoes
- Reviews: Top-Rated Walking Shoes for Elderly
- Orthopedic Dress Shoes
- Walking and Casual Shoes
- Walking Sandals
- Casual Sneakers
- Wash and Wear Walking Shoes
- Velcro Walking Sneakers
- Athletic Shoes
- Walking Shoes for Long Walks
- Velcro Closure Walking Shoes
- Orthopedic Walking Shoe for Foot Conditions
- Walking Accesories for the Elderly
- Index Table: Top Walking Shoes for Seniors