Supination, also known as under pronation is a common cause of ankle injuries and certain foot conditions.
People who have under pronation or supination will need to attain footwear that gives them the required support and comfort features to help prevent damage to their feet and ankles, as well as to alleviate any pain or discomfort associated with this foot condition.
What Exactly is Supination
Both supination and Pronation are terms used to describe the rolling motion of your feet during a gait cycle (Repetitive pattern your foot makes with each step) when you walk or run.
Excessive Supination, also known as under pronation occurs when your foot leans towards the outside, and weight is distributed along the outside of your foot which reduces your natural shock absorbing capability.
The Difference Between Supination and Pronation
Supination refers to the forefoot area while pronation has to do mainly with the heels.
Pronation, in general, has an effect on your ankles and calves, and supination can cause more damage or an injury to the arches.
People who have high arches usually supinate where people with flat feet or lower arches tend to overpronate.
Supination and Pronation are movements that both need to be in perfect balance with each other in order for our bodies to be able to walk without pain.
What Causes Supination and Excessive Supination.
Supination in some cases is a common congenital disability. Excessive supination is usually caused by the damages left over from a previous injury or a muscle, tendons or ligaments that are overworked and as a result of the after-effects of a sprained ankle.
Excessive supination is the least common foot type. Some of us have had it since childhood.
For others, excessive supination is the result of prior injury or overwork to the muscles, ligaments or
tendons that stabilize the ankle, such as from a sprained ankle.
Long Term Effects of Supination & Overpronation
Overpronation and oversupination can both cause quite a few muscoskeletal pain conditions and dysfunctions such as;
- Foot and arch pain.
- Plantar Fascitiis.
- Achilles Tendonitis.
- Tight and painful calves.
- Rolled or sprained ankles.
- Shin Splints.
- Certain Knee problems and knee pain.
- Tight hip flexors and hamstrings.
- Tight and sore hips or buttocks.
- Acute or chronic lower back pain.
- Herniated discs.
How to Tell if You are a Supinator
You are not necessarily a supinator if you have high arches. People with higher arches tend to under pronate, and those with lower arches tend to overpronate.
Your one foot may over supinate and the other may not, or both can supinate at different degrees. You can detect excessive supination by noticing profound wear on the outer sides of your shoes.
Foot balance retailers can do a foot analysis for you to check if you have excessive supination or any other conditions.
What are the Effects of Excessive Supination
Excessive supination can make you more susceptible to injuries by reducing shock absorption and biomechanical efficiency making your push off, when walking, less efficient.
This, in turn, puts pressure on the muscles and joints of your lower limbs and causes your overall body alignment to suffer.
Because your ankles are under constant strain, they are not stable enough increasing your risk of ankle sprains. Other effects of excessive supination are; knee problems, ligament damage, stress fractures, shin splints, back pain, and increased metatarsal pronation.
What to Look for in a Shoe for Supination
Cushioning for a high or concave arch as well as a specially cushioned midsole will provide excellent comfort and support for a person who supinates.
When you supinate, you also want a shoe that is lightweight reducing pressure on the feet with a gel-based single density midsole to provide better stability.
A perfectly molded shoe will accommodate your foot structure, and good grip capabilities will enhance running and walking.
Wearing the correct shoes for supination as well as your unique arch type will significantly reduce the risk of injury, pain, and damage not only to your feet but also to other parts of your body when walking or running.
There are quite a few anti-supination shoes available on the market today that either provide extra cushioning, enhance stability or improve grip.
Features of a Good Footwear for Excessive Supination
- Good cushioning and shock absorption capabilities.
- A flexible midsole that is lightweight.
- Good Arch support.
- Avoid trainers with motion control, medial support posts, hard midsoles and stabilizing features.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Supination
We have researched the best shoes for Excessive Supination and fashioned a list of five of the Top Rated Shoes for Supinators with their reviews;1
Running Shoes for Supination
The New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 running shoe has all the comfort and support features to accommodate a wearer that has excessive supination. An excellent running shoe that can also be worn casually and every day.
- Manufactured from high quality, breathable synthetic, and fabric materials.
- A futuristic runner that features ombre fade and a lace keeper overlay.
- A Fresh Foam Midsole for enhanced comfort and support.
- The construction is a bootie combination with mesh.
- An added Ortholite Sock Liner.
- The midsole and outsole feature a data-driven design.
Shoes for Supination and High Arches
The Asics Gel Nimbus 20 is not only an excellent choice in running shoe for supination but also helps with knee and lower back pain.
- Mesh and synthetic uppers for a lightweight and breathable fit that ensures all-day comfort.
- FluidRide technology and rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning for superior shock absorption and energy return.
- The FluidFit uppers with multi-directional stretch mesh and stretch reinforcements adapt to your feet creating a superior customized fit.
- The seamless construction ensures that there is no chafing or irritation caused by friction.
- Flytefoam midsole, and an Ortholite sock liner for cushioned comfort and shock absorbency.
- A durable rubber outsole delivers exceptional grip and prevents slips.
Stability Running Shoe for Supination
Saucony is a respected and popular name in running shoes. The Cohesion provides superior cushioning and shock absorption while keeping your feet cool and dry with the breathability characteristics.
- The mesh and synthetic uppers are lightweight, flexible and breathable and also feature reflective hit for better visibility during low light.
- The carbon rubber outsole material used on the Saucony Cohesion delivers maximum abrasion resistance and improved traction.
- A 12mm Heel grid system provides cushioned stability to the heel and reduces the impact on the heel.
- The removable foam insole along with the IMEVA midsole increases shock attenuation and provides responsive cushioning with lasting durability.
- The Saucony Cohesion is available in many different color options.
Wide Width Running Shoe for Supinators
For a light and cushioned running experience you can perform at your peak with the supportive and lightweight Brooks Ghost.
- Super lightweight construction from breathable textile materials with no-sew overlays preventing irritation.
- The Brooks Ghost has a specialized BioMoGo midsole that absorbs shock and provides added support.
- The heel and midfoot section of this shoe have a segmented crash pad and Omega flex grooves in the midsole for support and comfort.
- The adjustable saddle construction allows you a more comfortable and secure fit.
- This running shoe is also available in different colors.
Under-Pronation Stability Running Shoe
Breathable and lightweight stability running shoe that is designed to help with Supination in men and women, and is comfortable enough for all-day wear.
- Lightweight and breathable synthetic and mesh uppers.
- The no-sew application ensures less irritation and prevents chafing.
- A FantomFit upper for superior lightweight support and an improved fit.
- A rubber outsole that delivers good grip and long-lasting traction.
- A shock absorbing Fuel Cell, Abzorb midsole.
Running Shoe for Supination
The Asics Gel Cumulus 20 is an exceptional running shoe that enhances your natural gait and provides supportive cushioning that protects your feet against impact.
- The Asics Gel Cumulus 20 has an impact guide system that enhances the foot’s natural gait from heel strike to toe-off and a Trusstic system to integrate guidance line construction for even more enhanced gait efficiency.
- The FluidRide technology and rearfoot and forefoot Gel cushioning systems provide ample shock absorption and supportive cushioning.
- The comfortable synthetic uppers provide lightweight support and a personalized fit.
- A durable rubber outsole tops off the Asics Gel Cumulus 18 and provides excellent traction.
Orthaheel Technology Sandals for Under-Pronation
Orthotic sandals with Orthaheel technology providing great support, stability, and comfort particularly if you have excessive supination.
These sandals have been designed by a podiatrist specifically to provide relief from the pain and discomfort associated with many foot conditions.
- An effective full-length orthotic.
- Biomechanical orthotics with added arch support and a deeper heel cup.
- A durable rubber outsole.
- The Triple-Density EVA midsole with its heel cushioning helps to absorb shock and gives excellent support.
- Orthaheel technology can improve alignment and offer natural pain relief.
Running Shoe for Supination
The Nike Free 5.0 is one of the highest rated running shoes for Supination, they provide exceptional arch support and strengthen your natural motion.
- Breathable and lightweight mesh uppers with a textured mesh full inner sleeve for a more sock-like fit and easy on and off.
- The Nike Free has superior cushioning for shock absorption and helps to strengthen your feet improving natural motion.
- The asymmetrical lacing system reduces pressure on the top ridge of the foot.
- Diagonal cuts through the arch of the shoe encourage natural motion and improve strength and mobility.
- The Nike Free 5.0 is available in a large variety of colors.
Lace Up Walking Shoe for Underpronation
The New Balance 813 is a motion-controlled walking shoe that is designed with the best technology and highest quality materials to offer you optimal support, stability, and comfort for everyday wear.
- Manufactured from high quality soft and durable leather.
- ROLLBAR with Medial and Lateral TPU posts to give you the best motion control.
- Walking Strike Path technology helps to stabilize your foot through the natural gait cycle.
- A soft, comfortable collar for a snug fit.
- Available in different Neutral colors.
Running Shoe for Supination
The Asics Gel Nimbus 20 has ample cushioning and a flexible FluidFit that is perfect for runners who supinate.
- The FluidFit upper consists of multi-directional stretch mesh with stretch reinforcements that create an adaptive fit to the athlete’s foot for a glove-like customized fit.
- A heel clutching system comprised of a heel counter that provides excellent support and a better heel fitting environment.
- The seamless construction of the Asics Gel Nimbus prevents irritation and friction caused by stitches and seams.
- A FluidRide Midsole gives you excellent shock absorbency and bounces back cushioning with reduced weight.
- The durable rubber outsole provides excellent grip.
- The Asics Gel Nimbus is available in a few color options.
A Supination Running shoe for the Neutral Runner
A comfortable and lightweight running shoe with a consistent fit for the neutral runner, the Mizuno Wave Rider 22 is a soft and responsive daily trainer.
- Durable and breathable uppers with a consistently soft and comfortable fit.
- The refined toe spring ensures better support and improves push off functioning.
- A premium sock liner will provide cushioned comfort and keep your feet dry.
- Excellent shock absorption and responsive cushioning for better support and less strain on your feet and lower limbs.
- The Mizuno Wave Rider is available in different shades of pinks and grays, as well as blue and blacks.
Minimalist Running Shoe for Supination
The Brooks Glycerin 16 is a breathable and lightweight running shoe with ample cushioning and a DNA midsole for enhanced shock absorption and energy return.
- Breathable and lightweight mesh uppers with adjustable saddle construction for a more snug and comfortable fit.
- The full-length Super DNA midsole and cushioned support deliver superior shock absorption and advanced energy return.
- The soft blown rubber forefoot provides lightweight cushioning and excellent grip.
- The 3D fit print overlays provide better structural support with less weight.
- The durable rubber outsole delivers superior grip and durability.
- neutral support and maximum cushioning.
Enhanced Supination Support Flip Flop
The Orthaheel technology featured in the Vionic Tide Flip-Flop reduces supination and also provides pain relief, as well as natural healing for aches and pains associated with poor lower limb alignment.
- Supportive and comfortable Orthalite technology.
- A Bio-Mechanical, Tri-Planar, motion control footbed.
- The deep heel cup stabilizes your feet and helps to align them back to their natural position.
- Comfortable upper webbing.
- easy to clean and fast drying.
Work and Casual Boot for Supinators
The Wolverine Nolan for men and Wolverine Floorhand for women are both soft toe work boots that can also be worn casually. these boots have a cushioned and supportive footbed that aids in preventing under-pronation.
- A cushioned, foot-hugging molded footbed for ideal support and comfort.
- Full leather uppers with a breathable waterproof lining.
- A pull on Wellington boot design for easy on and off.
- The rubber outsole is durable and slip-resistant.
- Durashock shock absorbency technology.
- Goodyear welt tough construction.
- Available in wider widths.
- Tough, yet lightweight and comfortable.
Dress Shoes for Supination
- In The Walker 2 for Men
- A medial heel stabilizer for motion control and additional support.
- Two removable orthotic insoles and extra depth.
- The tongue and collar are padded for a more snug fit.
- There is a moisture control lining inside to keep you dry and fresh.
- The tempered steel shank ensures excellent puncture protection.
- Oxford style shoe with lacing and soft leather uppers.
- In the Rose Mary Jane for Women
- This is a Mary Jane style shoe with a Velcro strap, available in a large variety of colors and patterns.
- Foam padded collar and lightly padded interior and sole.
- Double insoles that are removable, and extra depth.
- Soft leather uppers from lightweight materials, and a slip-resistant polyurethane outsole.
Summary Table: Top Rated Shoes for Supination
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||New Balance® - Running Shoes for Supination||New Balance||96|
|2||Asics® - Shoes for Supination and High Arches||Asics||95|
|3||Saucony® - Stability Running Shoe for Supination||Saucony||96|
|4||Brooks® - Wide Width Running Shoe for Supinators||Brooks||96|
|5||New Balance® - Under-Pronation Stability Running Shoe||New Balance||93|
|6||Asics® - Running Shoe for Supination||Asics||96|
|7||Vionic® - Orthaheel Technology Sandals for Under-Pronation||Vionic||95|
|8||Nike® - Running Shoe for Supination||Nike||97|
|9||New Balance® - Lace Up Walking Shoe for Underpronation||New Balance||92|
|10||Asics® - Running Shoe for Supination||Asics||97|
|11||Mizuno® - A Supination Running shoe for the Neutral Runner||Mizuno||96|
|12||Brooks® - Minimalist Running Shoe for Supination||Brooks||95|
|13||Orthaheel Vionic® - Enhanced Supination Support Flip Flop||Orthaheel Vionic||95|
|14||Wolverine® - Work and Casual Boot for Supinators||Wolverine||96|
|15||Drew Shoe® - Dress Shoes for Supination||Drew Shoe||95|
The Benefits of Choosing the Right Running Shoe for Supination
There are not many runners that Supinate but for those that do the listed running shoes will provide much sought after relief and comfort.
A runner who supinates tends to wear out their shoes at the horizontal region causing their running shoes to become excessively stretched out quite fast. With excessive supination and added shock from running the runner may suffer from continuous lower leg sprains, bunions, tendonitis, callouses, as well as knee, his foot, and backaches.
What happens when you run if you supinate is that the heels outside hit the ground first, and the foot does not move in an internal direction during the running cycle but rather remains focused on the side region of the foot. This causes excessive shock and results in the small toes are doing most of the push off work.
Wearing shoes that are specially designed to correct supination will prevent this cycle and give you a more natural stride and gait cycle using the correct parts of the foot in equilibrium. Shock absorption is increased, and the controlled motion ensures that there is less strain on your feet and lower limbs.
The correct shoe for Supination will not only relieve pain and conditions already present because of supination but will also prevent further damage and the onset of any pain or conditions caused by supination.
You cannot go wrong with any one of these listed choices of footwear for excessive supination.
In general, the best type of shoe to settle for if you have excessive supination would be an athletic shoe because most athletic shoes already have all the required features needed to provide relief from the symptoms of supination.
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- What Exactly is Supination
- The Difference Between Supination and Pronation
- What Causes Supination and Excessive Supination.
- Long Term Effects of Supination & Overpronation
- How to Tell if You are a Supinator
- What are the Effects of Excessive Supination
- What to Look for in a Shoe for Supination
- Features of a Good Footwear for Excessive Supination
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Supination
- Running Shoes for Supination
- Shoes for Supination and High Arches
- Stability Running Shoe for Supination
- Wide Width Running Shoe for Supinators
- Under-Pronation Stability Running Shoe
- Running Shoe for Supination
- Orthaheel Technology Sandals for Under-Pronation
- Running Shoe for Supination
- Lace Up Walking Shoe for Underpronation
- Running Shoe for Supination
- A Supination Running shoe for the Neutral Runner
- Minimalist Running Shoe for Supination
- Enhanced Supination Support Flip Flop
- Work and Casual Boot for Supinators
- Dress Shoes for Supination
- Summary Table: Top Rated Shoes for Supination
- The Benefits of Choosing the Right Running Shoe for Supination