I have an abnormally tight Achilles tendon, (A tough band of fibrous tissue which connects your heel bones to your calf muscles, suffer from Achilles Tendonitis. This is particularly bothersome as I enjoy outdoor sports and strenuous exercise, which can wreak havoc on the Achilles tendon. Becuase of this I am also what you can a supinator, meaning that my feet do not roll inward sufficiently when I land when running. For this condition, or rather foot type, I have had to rethink my choice in footwear drastically.
Summary Table for Shoes for Supination – 2016
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||New Balance® - Running Shoes for Supination||New Balance||96|
|2||Asics® - Running Shoe for Supination||Asics||90|
|3||New Balance® - Lace Up Walking Shoe for Underpronation||New Balance||92|
|4||Vionic® - Orthaheel Technology Sandals for Under-Pronation||Vionic||95|
|5||New Balance® - Under-Pronation Stability Running Shoe||New Balance||93|
|6||Asics® - Shoes for Supination and High Arches||Asics||95|
For interest let me explain scientifically what Supination is and how it affects you;
What Exactly is Supination
So let me explain how to characterize Supination;
Supination also known as under pronation occurs when your foot leans towards the outside, and weight is distributed along the outside of your foot which reduces your natural shock absorbing capability.
The Difference Between Supination and Pronation
Looking at the difference between Supination and Pronation I have concluded that Supination refers the forefoot area while pronation has to do mainly with the heels.
Pronation, in general, has an effect on your ankles and calves, and supination can cause more damage or an injury to the arches.
People who have high arches usually supinate where people with flat feet, like me, or lower arches tend to overpronate.
Supination and Pronation are movements that both need to be in perfect balance with each other in order for our bodies to be able to walk without pain.
What Causes Supination and Excessive Supination.
I have read that Supination in some cases is a common congenital disability. Excessive supination is usually caused by the damages left over from a previous injury or a muscle, tendons or ligaments that are overworked and as a result of the after effects of a sprained ankle.
Excessive supination I find is the least common foot type. Some of us have had it since childhood. For
others, excessive supination is the result of prior injury or overwork to the muscles, ligaments or
tendons that stabilize the ankle, such as from a sprained ankle.
Long term Effects of Supination and Overpronation
Overpronation and oversupination can both cause quite a few muscoskeletal pain conditions and dysfunctions, some that I have noted are;
- Foot and arch pain.
- Plantar Fascitiis.
- Achilles Tendonitis.
- Tight and painful calves.
- Rolled or sprained ankles.
- Shin Splints.
- Certain Knee problems and knee pain.
- Tight hip flexors and hamstrings.
- Tight and sore hips or buttocks.
- Acute or chronic lower back pain.
- Herniated discs.
So you think you may also be a Supinator, well I have found these interesting facts which can tell you if you are;
How to Tell if You are a Supinator.
With research, I have realized that you are not necessarily a supinator if you have high arches. People with higher arches tend to under pronate, and those with lower arches tend to overpronate. So, my one foot may over supinate and the other may not, or both can supinate at different degrees. We detected profound wear on the outer sides of my friend’s shoes which signify excessive supination. Foot balance retailers can do a foot analysis to check if you have excessive supination or any other conditions.
Supination has affected my everyday life particularly when I exercise or take part in sports;
What are the Effects of Excessive Supination.
One of the main effects of Supination that I have come across is that excessive supination can make you more susceptible to injuries by reducing shock absorption and biomechanical efficiency making your push off when walking, less efficient. This, in turn, puts pressure on the muscles and joints of your lower limbs and causes your overall body alignment to suffer. Because your ankles are under constant strain, they are not stable enough increasing your risk of ankle sprains. Other effects of excessive supination that I know of are; knee problems, ligament damage, stress fractures, shin splints, back pain and increased metatarsal pronation.
I have done much research and tried out a few shoe brands and found that these features are the most desirable in a shoe for supination;
What to Look for in a Shoe for Supination
Make sure to always look for the correct features in a shoe for your foot type and condition, for Supination with a higher arch, Cushioning, as well as a specially cushioned midsole, will provide excellent comfort and support. For supination, I would also look for a shoe that is lightweight reducing pressure on the feet with a gel based single density midsole to provide better stability. A perfectly molded shoe will accommodate the foot structure, and good grip capabilities will enhance running and walking.
As I have learned, wearing the correct shoes for supination as well as your unique arch type will significantly reduce the risk of injury, pain, and damage not only to the feet but also to other parts of the body when walking or running. I found this article Best Shoes for Knee Pain; these shoes offer exceptional shock absorbency that is beneficial to someone who tends to Supinate.
I have noticed that there are quite a few anti-supination shoes available on the market today that either provide extra cushioning, enhance stability or improve grip. You can also look at the Best Running Shoes for Supination. If you Supinate and have a high arch the article Best Running Shoe for High Arches has some excellent shoe options.
The Features of The Best Footwear for Excessive Supination.
- Good cushioning and shock absorption capabilities.
- A flexible midsole that is lightweight.
- Good Arch support.
- Avoid trainers with motion control, medial support posts, hard midsoles and stabilizing features.
The Best Shoes for Supination
I have researched and tried out a few shoe brands for Excessive Supination and fashioned a list of five of mu favorites for Supinators with their reviews;
Running Shoes for Supination
- Manufactured from high quality, breathable synthetic, and fabric materials.
- A futuristic runner that features ombre fade and a lace keeper overlay.
- A Fresh Foam Midsole for enhanced comfort and support.
- The construction is a bootie combination with mesh.
- An added Ortholite Sock Liner.
- The midsole and outsole feature a data-driven design.
Running Shoe for Supination
- Lightweight and flexible textile and synthetic uppers for a more breathable and comfortable fit.
- The Fluid Ride technology ensures the best combination of bounce back and lightweight cushioning.
- Rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning absorbs shock and allows for better movement on multiple planes.
- A Guidance Trusstic System enhances gait efficiency and provides midfoot structural integrity.
- The durable rubber outsole delivers excellent traction and good grip capabilities.
Lace Up Walking Shoe for Underpronation
- Manufactured from high quality soft and durable leather.
- ROLLBAR with Medial and Lateral TPU posts to give you the best motion control.
- Walking Strike Path technology helps to stabilize your foot through the natural gait cycle.
- A soft, comfortable collar for a snug fit.
- Available in different Neutral colors.
Orthaheel Technology Sandals for Under-Pronation
An orthotic sandal with Orthaheel technology providing great support, stability, and comfort particularly if you have excessive supination. This sandal has been designed by a podiatrist specifically to provide relief from the pain and discomfort associated with many foot conditions.
- An effective full-length orthotic.
- Easy to use an adjustable strap with hook and loop enclosure on the Vionic Mojave.
- Biomechanical orthotics with added arch support and a deeper heel cup.
- The upper part is manufactured from leather and webbing.
- A durable Vibram rubber outsole.
- The Triple-Density EVA midsole with its heel cushioning helps to absorb shock and gives excellent support.
- The Orthaheel technology can improve alignment and offer natural pain relief.
Under-Pronation Stability Running Shoe
A breathable and lightweight stability running shoe that is designed to help with Supination in men and women, and is comfortable enough for all day wear.
- Lightweight and breathable synthetic and mesh uppers.
- The Acteva Light midsole with foam and Absorb Crash pad provides excellent support and shock absorbency along with long-lasting comfort.
- The no-sew application ensures less irritation and prevents chafing.
- A FantomFit upper for superior lightweight support and an improved fit.
- A rubber outsole that delivers good grip and long lasting traction.
Shoes for Supination and High Arches
The Asics Gel Nimbus 18 is not only and excellent choice in running shoe for supination but also helps with knee and lower back pain.
- Textile and synthetic uppers for a lightweight and breathable fit that ensures all-day comfort.
- FluidRide technology and rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning for superior shock absorption and energy return.
- The FluidFit uppers with multi-directional stretch mesh and stretch reinforcements adapt to your feet creating a superior customized fit.
- The seamless construction ensures that there is no chafing or irritation caused by friction.
- A durable outsole delivers exceptional grip and prevents slips.
You cannot go wrong with anyone of these listed choices of footwear for excessive supination, and I am proof of that. In general, I know that the best type of shoe to settle for if you have excessive supination would be an athletic shoe because most athletic shoes already have all the required features needed to provide relief from the symptoms of supination, which is good news for me personally. Some of the shoes I have listed have been a great help for me and has prevented me from suffering any further injuries.
Table of Contents
- Summary Table for Shoes for Supination – 2016
- What Exactly is Supination
- The Difference Between Supination and Pronation
- What Causes Supination and Excessive Supination.
- Long term Effects of Supination and Overpronation
- How to Tell if You are a Supinator.
- What are the Effects of Excessive Supination.
- What to Look for in a Shoe for Supination
- The Features of The Best Footwear for Excessive Supination.
- The Best Shoes for Supination
- Running Shoes for Supination
- Running Shoe for Supination
- Lace Up Walking Shoe for Underpronation
- Orthaheel Technology Sandals for Under-Pronation
- Under-Pronation Stability Running Shoe
- Shoes for Supination and High Arches