This is especially true when it comes to dress shoes, as most dress shoes are designed for looks and not so much comfort.
Arthritis and Your Feet
Arthritis is can cause inflammation in one or more of your joints, usually the joints in your hands, feet, and ankles, which in turn results in pain and stiffness of those joints.
There are over 100 forms of arthritis that can affect your feet and ankles making it challenging to walk and perform daily activities.
Although there is not yet a cure for arthritis, there are luckily a few treatment options to prevent progress and relieve the painful symptoms associated with this condition.
A few steps you can take to help are:
- Minimize activities that cause you pain and that aggravate your condition.
- Switch from high impact exercising to lower impact activities such as swimming, cycling, and other exercises with less impact on your feet and ankles.
- Losing weight will likewise take plenty of pressure of your feet and ankles and cause less pain in your joints.
- Physical therapy and certain exercises can aid in increasing mobility and flexibility and strengthen the muscles in your feet and ankles.
- Wearing supportive shoes or orthotic comfort devices can enable easy and pain-free movement with less stress on your feet and ankles.
- Take anti-inflammatory medication to help alleviate the pain.
Footwear for Arthritis
The best footwear that you can choose for arthritis is, of course, orthopedic and orthotic shoes.
I know this makes you think of those ugly clumpy shoes, but trust me with technology today there are plenty of absolutely stunning and fashionable designs, in any shoe type that you can dream of, that are available.
Some brilliant benefits of orthopedic and orthotic footwear;
- They will optimally support your feet and prevent pain and further aggravation of the condition.
- They can prevent pain in your back, knees, and joints.
- You can look forward to the most comfortable shoes you will ever own.
- You can wear them all day every day with no pain or stress on your feet.
- You can run, walk and stand without any pain or pressure in your feet or ankles.
- Today they are available in a vast range of styles, designs, and colors for every age group.
Choosing a Dress Shoe for Arthritis
Choosing the style and design is up to you, for the rest, here are a few tips;
- Try to fit on the shoes before buying them and walk in them for a short while to make sure they fit comfortably.
- It is absolutely worth it investing in a more expensive pair of shoes from a good known and trusted the brand.
- Avoid a heel that is too high, I have included two BioHeel, heeled options that are safe from Orthofeet.
- Look for a cushioned and comfortable insole, a moisture-wicking lining is a great bonus.
- Avoid shoes that are very heavy or have a heavy sole they place pressure on your knees.
- Flexibility is likewise a good option but not too much.
- Avoid shoes that have an open back, and rather opt for a back strap that is adjustable.
- Because arthritis can cause bone spurs and bunions to develop I would advise looking for shoes that offer a wider fit or wider toe box area.
- Then again, stay clear of pointy toe shoes, go for round toes they are about the best.
- Make sure your shoes fit well and do not restrict or pinch your feet in any way.
Reviews: The Best Available Dress Shoes for Arthritis
The Vionic Noble Laurie is a classy dress sandal that is super lightweight and comfortable, giving your feet the much sought after relief and comfort they deserve.
- Soft and supple leather uppers straps with an adjustable back strap for the ideal fit.
- Available in a range of designs and colors for every taste and preference.
- A very lightweight, flexible and supportive EVA midsole.
- Cushioned and supportive to reduce stress on your feet and to absorb shock effectively.
- The deep heel cup and an enhanced forefoot contouring system keep your feet supported and pain-free.
Looking for something dressy for colder weather conditions, well then the Tessa Boot from Propet is just what you need. Stylish, comfortable with an easy and flexible fit.
- Durable and supple full grain leather uppers with stretch fabric at the back panel and an easy entry zipper closure.
- The buckle details give the Boot a more sophisticated and aesthetically pleasing feel.
- The insole is well cushioned with Air Cushion latex and lined with Nylex to keep your feet dry and fresh.
- Anti-slippage rubber outsoles will keep your firm on your feet.
- The toe box is roomier to accommodate toe deforming and forefoot conditions.
- Likewise accommodates a wider calf and stretches for the perfect fit.
Orthofeet Comfortable 2 Inch Low Heels Bunions Heel Pain Womens Pumps Dress Shoes BioHeels Maya Black - Slip On Dress Pumps for Artritic Feet
Yet another stunning addition from the Orthofeet BioHeel range, this range offers some of the best dress shoes with the most divine designs. The Maya is the ideal choice for Bunions, Hammertoe, Diabetics and Arthritic feet.
- Slip on dress pump in black or Red Wine color.
- A lightweight sole with Ortho-Cushioning to soften impact and reduce strain on your feet.
- The forefoot pad along with the cushioned heel takes the pressure off your feet and prevents heel slippage.
- Soft and supple leather uppers that contours to the shape of your feet, with a smooth non-binding design.
- The heel is designed biomechanically to reduce pressure on your feet and give you the most comfortable heel you will find.
- The durable rubber outsole will prevent slips, and the cushioned insole will have you stepping on air.
The SoftWalk Taft is another very comfortable and adjustable sandal, ideal for arthritic feet and many other foot conditions. Enjoy a warm summers evening out in these gorgeous yet comfortable dress sandals, with your favorite outfit.
- Soft and supple, thin leather strap uppers with an adjustable back strap.
- A durable rubber sole that offers very good traction.
- Slight heel and platform for a more sophisticated and dress like appearance.
- Available in extended sizes and widths for every foot type and condition.
- The SoftWalk contoured footbed offers exceptional cushioning and shock absorbency.
- Available in six colors with two-tone strap designs.
A sophisticated and elegant looking sandal which has adjustable straps and wider width availability, ideal for Arthritic feet and other foot conditions.
- Genuine leather uppers with adjustable straps.
- A thick and shock-absorbing durable outsole.
- Available in a few color options as well as wider widths.
- A fully cushioned and comfortable footbed.
A gorgeous heeled dress shoe from Dr. Comfort that will ensure you excellent therapeutic comfort and relief.
- Soft and supple leather uppers with a slip-on design.
- Removable footbed, that allows you the use of your won orthotics.
- A forefoot design to prevent pressure and a BOA closure system.
- Available in wide and extra wide fit options as well as a brown or nude color option.
Orthofeet Bunions Most Comfortable 2 Inch Low Heels Pumps Womens Dress Shoes BioHeels Lilly Black - Bio Heel Arthritis Dress Shoe
A stunning dress pump with the popular Bio Heel technology from Orthpofeet.
- Non-binding and seamless interior for less irritation.
- A Bio Heel, which is an orthopedic heel designed to be comfortable and less straining.
- Available in wider widths options.
- Padded on the inside with a comfortable cushioned insole.
- Durable and slip resistant rubber outsole.
The Dansko Deni is a stunning slip-on Mule that can be worn as a dress shoe, with comfort features for arthritic feet.
- Soft leather uppers with a non-irritating leather lining.
- The Block heel gives it a more classy appeal and aids with stability.
- Decorative uppers and a slip-on style.
- There are a few color options to choose from.
- Lightweight frame and an embedded steel shank.
- Comfortable EVA footbed, and a slip resistant PU outsole.
The Earthies Rubio is a comfortable and supportive ballet flat, perfect for more formal occasions.
- Sofa and flexible uppers with decorative detailing.
- The glove-like interior lining gives a more comfortable fit.
- Molded latex cushioning for comfort and support.
- Secure closure strap around your feet.
- A durable and slip resistant rubber outsole.
The Lisa-W from Apex boasts a more relaxed yet still dressy style in a highly comfortable Mary jane Style Flat with a slight heel.
- Soft and flexible genuine leather uppers with a handy strap closure.
- Inside is a moisture-wicking polyester lining.
- The insole provides excellent comfort and pressure relief.
- Extra-depth design and wider with options.
- A SATRA certified slip resistant outsole.
- The firm heel counter ensures better stability.
Finding a dress shoe when your feet are affected by Arthritis, or any other condition is not all that difficult.
Most orthopedic and orthotic shoes today have a variety of modern and fashionable designs that will look fabulous for any formal occasion.
Index Table: Top-Rated Shoes for Arthritic Feet
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- Arthritis and Your Feet
- Footwear for Arthritis
- Choosing a Dress Shoe for Arthritis
- Reviews: The Best Available Dress Shoes for Arthritis
- Vionic Noble Laurie Backstrap Sandal Tan Leopard 5M - Arthritis Dress Sandal
- Propet Women's Tessa Riding Boot, Black, 6 M US - Dress Boot for Arthritic Feet
- Orthofeet Comfortable 2 Inch Low Heels Bunions Heel Pain Womens Pumps Dress Shoes BioHeels Maya Black - Slip On Dress Pumps for Artritic Feet
- SoftWalk Women's TAFT Wedge Sandal, Natural/Tan, 5 M US - Walking Dress Sandal for Arthritis
- Propet Women's Aurora Wedge Sandal, Black, 10 M US - Arthritis Dress Sandals
- Dr. Comfort Women's Cindee Dress Heels: Taupe 8 Wide (C/D) - Extra Depth Arthritis Dress Shoe
- Orthofeet Bunions Most Comfortable 2 Inch Low Heels Pumps Womens Dress Shoes BioHeels Lilly Black - Bio Heel Arthritis Dress Shoe
- Dansko Women's Deni Mule - Dress Mule for Arthritis
- Earthies Women's Bright Red Capri 6 Medium US - Ballet Flat for Arthritis
- Apex Shoe's A330W Lisa Mary Jane, Black, 8.5 - Mary Jane Flat for Arthritic Feet
- In Conclusion
- Index Table: Top-Rated Shoes for Arthritic Feet
I am a Long-distance hiker, a writer and an editor whose favorite topics include backpacking, trail running, boots and various footwear.
Last update on 2020-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API