Trail Walking or Running is basically just running or walking on more obstacle-ridden and adverse paths or tracks. Slip and trip hazards are the most likely dangers when it comes to Trail walking, as you have the chance of walking on wet, muddy, rocky or sandy terrain, or even marshes, grass and uneven stones.
Therefore a good Trail Walking shoe will provide you with all the features you need to protect you against the elements and to provide good slip resistance on any surface.
Trail Walking in a Nutshell
A trail usually refers to a path or track anywhere on a road that is not paved or tarred. A path or Footpath is other terms used to describe a trail, which can sometimes be a route through the wild and bushy territory.
Most outdoor trails are there specifically to be used by cyclists, runners, hikers or individuals walking only.
You can expect anything on a trail from mud to lose a stone, to grass or marshes, all in all trails are unpredictable, and therefore footwear that caters for all these elements are required.
So Basically what we are going to be looking at are Hiking shoes which can be used for Trail Walking, and Trail Running Shoes which are perfect for walking.
Why do You Need Special Shoes for Trail Walking
This is a question often asked by hikers as well, why do you need specialized shoes for trail walking or hiking. Well the answer is both can be used for walking and hiking, but it depends on the type of walking and hiking and the specific trail, which one will work best.
Why Hiking Boots are Better
Most people find that hiking boots offer better ankle support particularly when you are walking on very uneven and rough terrain. Then there is also the reason that they protect your feet from sharp rocks and pebbles that can puncture your shoes.
Likewise, a hiking boot easily keeps dirt and debris out of your shoes because of the higher design.
But let’s not get too involved with this, hiking boots are for very harsh and difficult terrain. Trail walking does not entail all these obstacles and difficulties as much, and the terrain tends to be a bit more smooth and easy.
Rather opt For Trail Runners or Walking Shoes
Trail running or walking shoes are lightweight, supportive and cushioned to provide you with the optimal support for running and walking specifically, rather than heavyweight protection for trekking.
Any good trail walking shoe has good traction, is waterproof, lightweight for you to be light and nimble on your feet, which at the end is all that you actually need.
Trail Walking shoes can similarly be used for hiking and offer equally good protection and traction on most terrain, although they may not be quite as effective for plodding through very deep muck or snow, but then again, what are the chances of that.
Pros and Cons of Trail Running Shoes for Walking
In the end Trail Walking Shoes are Breathable, dry easily, require no break in period as they are softer and more flexible, they are light and much cooler in hot weather, the only downfall being that they are not as durable as Hiking boots, although cheaper to replace.
What to Look for In Your Trail Walking Shoe
- High Traction lug soles or soles with lug patterns, usually made from rubber.
- Durable upper materials that provide abrasion resistance and can withstand some elements.
- Stable construction to prevent excessive foot rotation, and provide pronation control.
- Lightweight with breathable uppers materials.
- They are cushioned for comfort and shock absorbency.
- A snug and comfortable fit.
- Waterproofing as an optional extra.
- Good arch support.
Reviews: The Best Available Trail Walking Shoes
The New Balance 1201 is the ideal casual wearing trail walking shoe, with a stylish silhouette and providing instant comfort and relief.
- Textile and synthetic uppers that are lightweight and breathable.
- A durable and good gripping rubber outsole for all terrain.
- Suede style uppers for a sheer and elegant appearance.
- A comfortable cushioned removable insert that fully supports your feet.
For the best fit and breathability for those hot weather trail walks, the Merrell Siren is your best option. Complete with all the comfort and support fittings that you need, along with a lightweight and breathable design to keep your feet dry and cool.
- Lightweight and breathable mesh uppers, with seamless overlays and color-pop webbing, along with Ghillie laces.
- An athletic styled shoe is available in a large variety of color options to choose from.
- The tongue bellows in order to keep dirt and debris out.
- M-Select Fit with the ECO contoured footbed that provides organic odor control, and cushions, absorbs shock as well as offering stability.
- A shock absorbing air cushioned heel and Vibram traction outsole with 4 mm lugs.
The Asics Gel-Venture provides you with long-lasting cushioned comfort, shock absorbency and durable high traction protection on a variety of outdoor and indoor surfaces.
- Breathable comfortable synthetic uppers.
- Rearfoot Gel cushioning to attenuate shock and a removable sock liner that is comfortable and breathable.
- The Trail specific, AHAR Rubber outsole features reversed lugs for uphill and downhill traction on all terrain.
- The AHAR rubber is highly abrasion resistant and likewise placed at critical areas of the rear sole for better durability.
Rugged, durable as well as extremely stunning to look at, the Saucony Grid Excursion is an athletic shoe, made for trail walking.
- Breathable and lightweight mesh uppers with supportive overlays that lock your feet into place.
- A durable rubber outsole with trail-tested triangular lug patterns that will prevent slipping.
- GRID cushioning for the best in shock absorbency and cushioned comfort.
- The mesh uppers are manufactured particularly for trails, to be durable and quick drying.
- Available in two gorgeous color options for r to choose from.
- Rubber outsoles with circularly lug patterns for excellent grip and durability, while giving a more responsive feel on unpredictable terrain.
- The removable insoles offer excellent arch support and transfers weight evenly to reduce pressure on the ball of the foot.
- A thicker topline wraps perfectly around your feet to keep the shoe in place.
- Lightweight and will fit your feet like a glove
The Lone peak three from Altra is an ideal choice for individuals who tend to under pronate, or have neutral pronation. They offer lightweight and flexible support with a zero-drop design and neutral cushioning.
- Features a durable rubber lug sole for better grip and traction on all terrain.
- The zero—drop design enables more natural walking and running.
- Ideal with light cushioning and flexibility along with just enough stability for responsive performance.
- NeoShell upper design with breathable mesh offering a more comfortable and flexible fit.
Whether you are walking or running on trails, the protection and support you need is very similar, although running requires much more cushioning and shock absorbency.
I have chosen a variety of shoes for Trail walking each with their own unique features, so whatever may be your requirement, you are sure t find something here!
Index Table: Top Rated Trail Walking Shoes
|1||New Balance Women's WW1201 - Trail Walking Shoe for Women||New Balance||95|
|2||Merrell Women's Siren Edge - Hiking and Trail Walking Shoe||Merrell||98|
|3||Asics Women's Gel-Venture 6 - Trail Walking Shoe with Cushioning||Asics||98|
|4||Saucony Women's Grid Excursion - Comfortable Trail Walking Shoe||Saucony||97|
|5||Joomra Women's Barefoot - Minimalist Walking Shoes for Trails||Joomra||95|
|6||Altra Women's Lone Peak 3 - Zero Drop Trail Walker||Altra||96|
Table of Contents
- Trail Walking in a Nutshell
- Why do You Need Special Shoes for Trail Walking
- Pros and Cons of Trail Running Shoes for Walking
- Reviews: The Best Available Trail Walking Shoes
- New Balance Women's WW1201 Trail Walking Shoe for Women
- Merrell Women's Siren Edge Hiking and Trail Walking Shoe
- Asics Women's Gel-Venture 6 Trail Walking Shoe with Cushioning
- Saucony Women's Grid Excursion Comfortable Trail Walking Shoe
- Joomra Women's Barefoot Minimalist Walking Shoes for Trails
- Altra Women's Lone Peak 3 Zero Drop Trail Walker
- Index Table: Top Rated Trail Walking Shoes