Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy Explained
Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy are two very different conditions, one affecting only the feet and the other the entire body.
- Plantar Fasciitis – Plantar Fasciitis is one of the most common conditions that causes heel pain and discomfort. This involves inflammation of the thick band of tissue at the bottom of your feet which connects the heel bone to the toes, called the Plantar Fascia.A stabbing pain which usually occurs with your first steps in the morning or after being off you feet for a period of time is the most tell tale sign of Plantar Fasciitis. The pain will gradually go away with movement and may return again after being off your feet for a while. Runners are more prone to this condition and individuals who are overweight. Improper support in your shoes can further increase your risk of plantar fasciitis.
Neuropathy – Neuropathy or rather Peripheral neuropathy, in this case, is a much different condition which affects the peripheral nerves in your body. Neuropathy is a result of damage to nerves that are outside the brain and spinal cord called the peripheral nerves, which can cause weakness, numbness, and pain in these nerves. The nerves in your hands and feet are most likely to be affected. Peripheral neuropathy can result from traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic;ic issues as well as inherited causes, although the most common cause is diabetes. Individuals with Neuropathy may feel a stabbing or burning pain, tingling, or numbness in the affected areas. Protective shoes are required for this condition as your feet are more sensitive, and more prone to injury, and you are less likely to feel cold, injuries or heat.
What to Look For in a Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
There are different factors to look for in a shoe for both plantar fasciitis and neuropathy, each requires their own specific features.
- Stability – Stability features such as a firmer sole, arch support, and a heel stabilizer is required for Plantar Fasciitis as well as protection of the heel and ankles in neuropathy.
Arch Support – Good arch support for your specific arch types is important.
Cushioning – A shock absorbing midsole and cushioned insole protects both sensitive feet and painfull heels, with additional padding in the heel area.
Roomy Toe Box – A roomy toe box is ideal to protect the toes and forefoot against pressure.
Pressure Relief – For Neuropathy it is vital to look for shoes that do not cuase friction or any pressure on your feet. Soft and flexible uppers and interior linings that are seam free are mosr desirable.
Sole – as you need shock absorbency and cushioning in the heel, as well as underfoot protection, a thick and durable rubber sole with a slight heel is ideal for both Plantar Fasciitis pain and Neuropathy symptoms.
Features of a Good Shoe for Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
- Cushioned and stability heel.
- Firm Sole.
- Thick rubber outsole.
- Shock absorbing and cushioned EVA midsole.
- Comfortable gel or cushioned insole.
- Flexible and light uppers.
- Roomy toe box
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
Here are a few shoe types and brands that are ideal for Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy;
1 Walking Shoes for Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis
Comfortable casual all day wear and walking shoes from Skechers Go walk for those who suffer from Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis.
- Elastic and highly breathable and lightweight synthetic uppers.
- An easy slip on and off the design.
- There is a highly energizing and responsive 5Gen cushioned footbed.
- Soft and smooth moisture wicking interior linings.
- A high traction rubber outsole.
- Features the Popular Air Cooled Goga Mat cushioning footbed.
The 877 Model from New balance is one of your best choices in athletic shoes when you suffer from Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis. This shoe offers a more roomy fit, and superb comfort and shock absorbing technologies to protect painful heels.
- A popular ABZORB, shock absorbing midsole.
- Very lightweight and breathable.
- High quality construction and durability.
- A wider and more roomy toe box area.
- Durable and high traction rubber outsole.
- Some color options are available.
The Tour Walker and Life Walker from Propet are two superb Orthopedic comfort walking shoes that will be perfect for conditions such as Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis.
- The uppers are designed from synthetic leather that is perforated for breathability.
- There are Velcro straps that are adjustable for a customizable fit.
- A shock absorbing and cushioning EVA midsole.
- The footbed is Padded and cushioned for further comfort.
- Offers a wider and more roomy fit.
- Excellent shock absorbing and high traction rubber outsole.
4 Athletic Shoe for plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
The Gel Nimbus range from Asics offers superb cushioning and comfort technologies which are ideal for both Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis.
- Bounce back and energizing cushioning with the Fluid Ride technology.
- The perfect lightweight and cushioned running and walking shoe.
- There are forefoot and rearfoot Gel cushioning for shock absorbency and cushioned comfort.
- A flexible and breathable uppers design to accommodate sensitive feet.
- Protective overlays and a durable rubber outsole for good traction.
- The FluidFit uppers offer a snug yet comfortable and adaptable fit.
- A Heel clutch for added heel protection and support, which is superb if you suffer from Plantar Fascitis.
5 Summer Shoes for Neuropathyanand Plantar Fasciitis
The Skechers Breathe easy shoe is a lightweight and comfortable shoe with a relaxed fit and an air cooled cushioned memory foam insole. This is the ideal cooling and comfort shoe for individuals with Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis.
- The uppers are designed with breathable and soft woven fabrics that are also stretchable to adapt to your feet.
- A more relaxed and roomy fit design.
- There is an Air Cooled Memory foam design, footbed for cushioning and cooling comfort.
- A durable rubber outsole and heel provides good shock absorbency and heel support.
- Ideal for wearing in the summer if you have Neuropathy and cannot wear and open style shoe.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
|1||Skechers Go Walk - Walking Shoes for Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis||Skechers Go Walk||90|
|2||New Balance - Plantar Fasciitis and neuropathy Athletic Shoes||New Balance||88|
|3||Propet - Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy Shoes||Propet||86|
|4||Asics - Athletic Shoe for plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy||Asics||80|
|5||Skechers - Summer Shoes for Neuropathyanand Plantar Fasciitis||Skechers||92|
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy Explained
- What to Look For in a Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
- Features of a Good Shoe for Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
- 1 Walking Shoes for Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis
- 2 Plantar Fasciitis and neuropathy Athletic Shoes
- 3 Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy Shoes
- 4 Athletic Shoe for plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
- 5 Summer Shoes for Neuropathyanand Plantar Fasciitis
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy
I am a Long-distance hiker, a writer and an editor whose favorite topics include backpacking, trail running, boots and various footwear.
Last update on 2020-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API