No one needs good quality, comfortable shoes more than a nurse. Nurses work extremely long shifts, and they are on their feet almost all the time and are rushing around from patient to patient.
If a nurse does not wear, the correct footwear her feet and body will be in an enormous amount of pain by the time she finally gets home to rest.
Nurses suffer from back pain, shin splints, numbness, and other physical aches as a result of shoes that fit improperly or are not made according to health standards.
What is the Main Goal of a Nursing Shoe
The most important function of any nursing shoe is long lasting and optimal comfort.
A nurse’s feet need to be properly cushioned and the ankles, knees, hips, and back need to be completely supported.
A nurse has a hard enough time dealing with anxious patients and their family, doctors breathing down their necks and getting along with their co-workers on a daily basis the last thing that a nurse need is shoes that are uncomfortable and does not provide the proper support.
Luckily there are many options of shoes available today that are comfortable and stylish as well as of the highest quality made especially for nursing.
You will allow your feet to feel comfortable and pain-free during your entire work shift by making the best choice in nursing shoes for yourself.
Anatomy of a Good Shoe for Nurses
- Cushioning – Good cushioning provides shock absorbency and comfort when you are on your feet all day. Look for foam, EVA, Ortholite or Gel cushioning, particularly in the heel area.
- Slip Resistance – A slip-resistant rubber outsole is ideal as hospital floors can be quite slippery.
- Waterproof – In the case where there may be spills or wetness, waterproof upper construction of your shoes will be an advantage.
- Supportive – Good support for your foot and arch type, look for features such as arch support, stability, and a heel counter or cup, or even a contoured footbed.
- Moisture Wicking – A moisture-wicking lining inside as well as breathable, materials help to keep your feet dry and odor free.
- Friction Free – Make sure there are no areas in the shoes that can cause chafing or friction burns, and that all linings are smooth and comfortable.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Nurses
Here are a few excellent choices for Nursing shoes that are durable and will give you all the required comfort and support for working on your feet all day;
Many nurses have worn these Dansko clogs and absolutely loved them for their exceptional comfort and roominess which comes in handy when your feet start to swell.
- Designed specifically for those individuals with higher arches.
- Every step will be lighter and more comfortable because of the lightweight design.
- Perfectly complements orthopedic inserts.
- A polyurethane rubberized material was sued to manufacture the lining and sole of the shoe making it liquid proof and improving its durability.
- Because nurses feet have a tendency to become swollen the shoe has been designed to have more room.
- For extra shock absorbency and stability, the platform and heel are raised just a few inches off the floor.
- The thick polyurethane soles and detailed traction at the bottom of the shoe are safety features especially installed for use on wet or dry floors.
- Very detailed designs and a large variety of colors and patterns is the Dansko range.
The Mercy Clogs made by Crocs are fashionable and durable shoes that provide both comfort and enhanced arch support with its durable crosslite upper.
- This shoe is an all-time favorite that works very well for both work and socializing.
- A perfect shoe for those who work in the hospitality and healthcare industries.
- Designed with footbed nubs for extra comfort.
- Improved grip and slip prevention because of the Croc Lock treaded soles.
- Comfortable and durable rubber is used to manufacture the round rubber sole.
- With a platform measuring half an inch from the floor and a shaft measuring 2 inches from the arch the shoe is more stable and absorbs more shock.
- Many different colors and designs to choose from to suit your own personal style and preference.
- Available in different colors and patterns for your personal preference.
The Cherokee Women’s Patricia Step In Shoe is easy to wear, comfortable shoe that gives added support and is slip resistant.
- The shoe is made from very durable material and can withstand all the elements that go along with working as a nurse.
- The upper part of the shoe is manufactured from soft and comfortable leather that is very durable.
- The collar of the shoe is padded for it to fit snugly around your feet.
- For those extra-long shifts, there is a lining inside the shoe that absorbs moisture keeping your feet dry and fresh.
- The outsole is lightweight and flexible and will help prevent slips.
- The outsole is very durable and will last through many long shifts.
- One and a quarter inch heel to absorb shock and improve stability.
- This is easy to wear the shoe as it is a slip on and can be easily put on and taken off.
The Skechers Sport for women is convenient and comfortable slip-on shoes that are made for prolonged wear and provide great traction.
- Made with smooth leather uppers with a soft lining for cushioning and support as well as a comfortable and snug fit.
- These shoes have no rough patches that will cause abrasion to your feet or ankles during prolonged wear.
- There is also extra cotton padding on the collar and the tongue for more comfort.
- Elastic has been inserted in the front panels to make these shoes easy to put on and to take off.
- A 1-inch platform and 1 and ½ inch heel provides extra cushioning and aids in absorbing shock.
- The excess room inside the shoe helps to envelop the foot in a better position and provides a softer step for long days.
- The EVA insole provides extra padding and cushioning for the ultimate soft support and comfort.
- The outsoles are made from very high-quality rubber that will not mark white floors and also provides for great grip on hospital floors that can become very slippery.
The Renova Professional Slip-on shoes are made from very high-quality materials to ensure a shoe that is durable, sturdy and comfortable particularly for rigorous wear.
- These shoes have been designed specifically with nurses and medical professionals in mind.
- Full grain leather upper for comfort and a perfect fit.
- The full grain leather upper provides a comfortable and snug fit.
- The soles are made from durable and sturdy rubber with great traction which is an added safety feature to the shoes that can be worn safely on slippery floors.
- Two-inch heels and half an inch platform ensure good shock absorption and stability.
- The shape of the shoe will conform to the natural movement of your feet as you walk.
- The shoe generates a heel to toe rocking movement to reduce stress and strain on the feet and arches.
- The shoe is abrasion, slip and oil-resistant because of the Timberland Pro urethane soles.
- A special tread pattern is equipped with safe Grip technology to offer traction on wet and dry surfaces.
The Propet W3851 is easy to wear, easy to maintain, comfortable and supportive walking shoe that is great for nurses who are on their feet on hard floor surfaces all day.
- Soft and flexible leather uppers that are very easy to clean.
- A durable rubber outsole for good grip and traction on slippery surfaces.
- An EVA midsole that reduces shock and cushions the feet.
- Internal and external heel counters for added support.
- The removable cushioned orthotic insert improves comfort and support.
- A lightweight, breathable and durable shoe.
- One of the Best Walking Shoes for Elderly Women.
- Available in six different colors.
The Saucony ProGrid ST2 is one of the best choices of shoes if you have an occupation where you are on your feet all day. This shoe offers superb comfort and support for all-day wear as well as a wider fit for more room for movement.
- The forefoot features full grain leather uppers and a stretch zone for a better fit.
- The forefoot and rearfoot are cushioned and has a Strobel board assisting with the gait cycle.
- The EVA midsole is compression molded and has a Heel ProGrid system with Respon-Tek technology for the best shock absorption.
- An XXTM 900 outsole with walk Trac technology gives you advanced grip and traction.
- Available in three color designs.
- The Best Wide Width Walking Shoe that offers great comfort and support to all nurses.
A shoe made with nurses in mind specifically, the Nurse Mates Velocity is comfortable, shock absorbing and extremely slip resistant.
- Synthetic uppers in a variety of color options with a padded collar and tongue, and stretch-lacing system for a snug and comfortable fit.
- An align corrective orthotic insert lined with leather and cotton.
- The embedded composite shank provides full stability while the slip resistant and shock absorbing EVA outsole keeps you firm on your feet.
- A comfortable and well-cushioned foam footbed.
A clog styled nursing shoe that is easy to slip on and off, with all the required features to keep you comfortable and prevent slips.
- Rich and colorful leather uppers with a roomy toe box.
- The footbed is covered in latex and memory foam for cushioned support.
- An anatomically correct and supportive insole that can be removed for use of your own orthotics.
- The Rocker outsole is lightweight and slip-resistant, offering you excellent stability.
- The shoe is easy to clean and stain resistant.
The New Balance WX608V4 is not a nursing shoe in essence, although it has all the features that you will require in such an occupation.
- Durable and tough genuine leather uppers.
- A high grip durable rubber outsole to prevent slips.
- The IMEVA midsole and dual density collar have a softer and denser foam for better-cushioned support.
- Offers firm support and stability.
- Variety of colors to choose from.
A tough and durable slip-on shoe from Dansko, the Patti flat has a highly slip resistant and durable Vibram rubber outsole.
- Genuine leather uppers in a slip on design available in black and brown color options.
- A seam sealed lining with a waterproof membrane.
- A moisture-managing interior that helps to control odors.
- Tough and durable Vibram rubber outsole. that ensures excellent slip resistance.
- Scothcguard protection against stains.
The ideal nurse’s shoe with a high traction outsole and shock absorbing cushioning, to keep you comfortable on your feet all day.
- Premium leather uppers in a variety of colors and patterns for you to choose from.
- A slip-on style with dual goring for easy on and off.
- Moisture wicking and smooth leather lining, with a perfect fit cork footbed that reduces pressure on your heel and metatarsal area.
- A slip resistant polyurethane outsole.
The Skechers for Work Sure Track is one of the best available slip resistant work boots that are perfect for nurses.
- Genuine leather uppers that are soft and flexible.
- Slip resistant rubber outsole.
- Soft cushioned insole with a moisture-wicking fabric liner.
- Easy slip on design.
All of these options make perfect choices for anyone working in the nursing or medical field; they comply with the most important standards when it comes to the requirements of footwear for nursing which is: comfort, safety, and durability.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Nurses
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- What is the Main Goal of a Nursing Shoe
- Anatomy of a Good Shoe for Nurses
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Nurses
- Dansko Women's Professional Tooled Clog for Nurses
- Crocs Women's Mercy Work Clog for Nurses
- Cherokee Women's Patricia Comfortable Shoe for Nurses
- Skechers Women's Premium-Premix Slip-On Shoes for Nurses
- Timberland Women's Renova Professional Nursing Slip On Shoe
- Propet Women's W3851 Wash and Wear Nursing Shoes
- Saucony Women's ProGrid Integrity ST2 Wide Width Shoe for Nurses
- Nurse Mates Women's Velocity Comfortable Sneakers for Nurses
- Allegria Women's Debra Easy Slip On Nursing Shoe
- New Balance Women's WX608V4 Training Shoe For Nurses
- Dansko Women's Patti Flat Nursing Slip On Shoe
- Alegria Women's Keli Professional Nurse's Shoe
- Skechers for Work Women's Suretrack Slip resistant Nursing Shoe
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Nurses