Most people have experienced lower back pain at some stage of their lives. I have noticed a dull pain in my lower back recently that seems to become worse when I exercise or play sports. I decided to do some research and have found a few causes and remedies for lower back pain. One of the most important methods that I became accustomed to managing my back pain is to wear appropriate footwear as well as to do ample stretching before strenuous exercise.
Index Table for the Best Shoes for Lower Back Pain
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Propet® - Sandals for Lower Back Pain||Propet||96|
|2||Merrell® - Slip-On Shoes for Back Pain||Merrell||90|
|3||Orthofeet® - Lower Back Pain Orthopedic Shoe||Orthofeet||95|
|4||Vionic® - Ankle Boot for Back Pain||Vionic||95|
|5||Saucony® - Running Shoe for Back Pain||Saucony||96|
|6||Asics® - Back Pain Athletic Shoes||Asics||98|
|7||New Balance® - Athletic Shoe for Lower Back Pain||New Balance||92|
|8||Vionic Orthaheel® - Walking Shoes for Lower Back Pain||Vionic Orthaheel||94|
When back pain becomes severe it can have quite an effect on your life, here are some effects that I have noticed in my life as my back pain became worse and more frequent;
The Effect that Lower Back Pain has on your Life
Lower back pain can affect various aspects of your life depending on the severity and cause of the lower back pain.
Here is a list of a few areas in which lower back pain has affected my me’s life;
Mobility and Pain
Lower back pain has caused him to move slower and become more wary of performing certain daily activities. He has also started taking less part in most activities and exercise routines.
When the pain becomes more noticeable and less avoidable, he tends to start to performing fewer activities and move more carefully in order to prevent pain. For him modifying an activity to prevent lower back pain is much more desirable than completely discontinuing all activity. What exercises to do and to avoid for lower back pain can be viewed in Good and Bad Exercises for Lower Back Pain.
Emotions and Moods
When you are chronically in pain, particularly back pain you have a much lower tolerance to stress and becomes more sensitive to anything that might aggravate the pain. Back pain can take quite some time to improve and does not change much from day to day; my results in an ongoing negative mood and emotions.
Because back pain can become worse quite fast a person suffering from severe back pain will become moodier and have negative emotions rather than feelings of relief and comfort. Lower back pain tends to make him much more hesitant, protective and anxious when it comes to certain circumstances and activities. Therefore engaging In safer and more back healthy activities is what he opts for relief.
The way in which lower Back pain affects my mobility and sensitivity to pain also affects my ability to be actively involved with my family. As the pain progresses and becomes worse, I become more frustrated and start to avoid spending time with family and friends.
My family tries to accommodate me with regards to back pain, but this in turn also affects their lifestyle.
It is vital to have support and understanding from your loved ones as you do not know whether your condition will improve or not. This support in the long term can bring you much-needed relief.
Rest and Sleep
Lower back pain can influence the quality of rest and sleep. Constant back pain is exhausting in itself, and therefore enough rest and sleep are required in the healing process. Sleeping can be quite uncomfortable with lower back pain, but finding a sleeping position that is comfortable or option for an orthopedic mattress or pillow can bring much relief.
How To Manage Lower Back Pain
Luckily, with the technology we have today, there are quite a few methods that can be used to relieve lower back pain and reduce further damage. The use of supportive devices to align your back, hot and cold compresses and other medicinal treatments will provide all the needed aid with lower back pain. After controlling the pain, my condition can be prevented by improving my posture while standing and sitting, toning and stretching your back muscles regularly and wearing supportive shoes to maintain the alignment of your back. Wearing the right footwear helps my me to reduce and relieve my lower back pain and prevents further injuries and damage to my back. You can look at some great options in running shoes for lower back pain as well as knee pain in, the best Running Shoes for Knee Pain.
Causes of lower back pain
Improper alignment of your entire body from head to toe is the main cause of lower back pain. Your joints and muscles get stressed and strained if your body usually remains out of alignment. In order to restore this alignment, I find that my body has to compensate in some way, and this consistent compensation can cause a number of health problems including pain in the lower back. If you have a flat foot, impact from running and walking can cause stress on your back, Running Shoes for Flat Feet can help to reduce impact by providing better shock absorbency.
Other reasons for lower back pain may include;
Here are some more reasons I have come across, for Back Pain;
- Standing or sitting in an awkward for a long period of time.
- Handling heavy objects inappropriately.
- Excessive physical exertion during a workout or at work.
- A Back Injury.
- Sciatica, which is compression of a spinal nerve root in the lower back.
- Age-related problems.
- Occupations involving strenuous activities or lifting of heavy objects.
- Being inactive.
I have tried out many different brands of shoes to help manage my back pain, here are some features that I have found helpful in a shoe for back pain;
Features of a Good Shoe for Lower Back Pain
From what I have researched, firstly and most importantly you need to find out what type of arch your foot has because a shoe that is good for you back needs to work well with the natural arch of your feet. There are three types of arches; low arches (pronation), neutral or normal arches, and high arches (supination). I chose a good running shoe which provides motion control for my me, which helps with pronation, but also gives stability to a neutral arch and cushioning for supination arches.
Shoes that promote foot striking the ground with the middle or front of the foot rather than the heel are also an excellent choice I found, as the impact on the heels can affect your lower back. You can also get specially designed insoles or orthotics that provide extra support for back pain relief. Shoes that provide relief for knee pain are also beneficial for lower back pain, and you can read more about these in Best Walking Shoes for Knee Pain.
The best Shoes for Lower Back Pain
Listed here are a few of my favorite shoe choices for lower back pain, I have added some reviews and specs to make your decision easier;
Sandals for Lower Back Pain
The Propet Sandal is a casual sandal that is excellent for people suffering from lower back pain. This shoe has extra padding and a high-performance rubber sole that provides superb support and shock absorption.
- Manufactured from high-quality Nubuck leather.
- Lined with comfortable soft padding for extra support.
- The insole and midsole have been covered with microfiber EVA and is contoured for better cushioning.
- The three hook and loop straps on the instep, forefoot, and heel give you an adjustable and comfortable fit.
- The outsole is manufactured from high performance, durable rubber that offers excellent support and traction.
- Podiatrist designed Rejuve technology.
Slip-On Shoes for Back Pain
The Merrel Slip on Shoe is a stylish and comfortable shoe that is perfect for work and as a dress shoe. It offers all the comfort and support characteristics to help reduce back pain and improve your posture when walking.
- Imported leather uppers.
- A durable rubber M-Select grip sole that improves grip and traction.
- The Lycra Neoprene stretch collar makes these shoes easy to put on and take off.
- M Select fresh technology and a pigskin and mesh insole lining, for a more breathable and odor-resistant shoe
- A stable metal arch shank which offers support to improve back alignment.
- Merrel air cushioning to reduce impact and an EVA insole for added cushioning throughout the day.
- The Merrell Polarand Rove for men has an ice grip outsole and warm and comfortable interior making it a perfect winter shoe.
Lower Back Pain Orthopedic Shoe
- Manufactured from soft and supple leather.
- A Multi-Layered removable orthotic insert provides anatomical support and arch support.
- Designed to soften your steps and facilitate foot motion reducing stress on the joints and lower back.
- A lightweight cushioned sole ensures natural gait with the Ergonomic Stride technology.
- The non-binding design with a smooth fabric lining and padded foam reduces irritation and enhances comfort.
- A Biomechanical design with unique comfort features for and orthopedic shoe that is perfect for back and foot pain, Diabetes as well as many other conditions.
Ankle Boot for Back Pain
- Manufactured from soft full grain leather.
- The buckle instep straps in the Vionic Adrie and the lace up system in the Vionic Ryan ensures a better fit and enhances the design.
- A durable rubber outsole for added support.
- Orthaheel technology and a biomechanical orthotic footbed that helps to align your feet naturally and reduces over pronation.
- Available in a few neutral colors.
Running Shoe for Back Pain
- The uppers are made from breathable ISOFIT mesh and lightweight synthetic overlays.
- A rubber sole for excellent grip and traction.
- Neutral cushioning for added support.
- The tongue and collar are padded for a comfortable fit.
- A Powergrid Midsole for stability and support.
- A 4mm offset.
- Available in a magenta/coral colour design
Back Pain Athletic Shoes
The Asics Gel Cumulus 18 is one of the best available running shoes that will not only offer you back pain relief but also relief from many other foot conditions.
- “Cumulus 18” is one of the Best Shoes for the Gym for People with Lower Back Pain.
- Breathable and flexible synthetic and mesh uppers.
- An Impact Guidance System to enhance the foot’s natural gait cycle.
- The Fluidride midsole provides a combination of bounce back and exceptional cushioning.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot Gel cushioning for better shock absorbency and movement on multiple planes.
- A durable rubber outsole for excellent grip and traction.
Athletic Shoe for Lower Back Pain
- Th blown rubber outsole offers great grip on many floor surfaces.
- A foam collar for a more comfortable fit.
- The No-Sew material application technology gives this shoe an even better and more comfortable fit.
- The uppers are manufactured from breathable mesh and synthetic materials.
- Offer excellent shock absorption and support to prevent back pain, foot conditions, and injuries.
- One of the Best Shoes for Fallen Arches
Walking Shoes for Lower Back Pain
- An anti-bacterial removable orthotic insole for more comfort and freshness.
- A breathable mesh lining and sock liner will keep your feet dry and odor free.
- The EVA midsole offers soft, cushioned support.
- This Shoe has been rated and rewarded with the APMA seal of approval.
- The flexible rubber outsole is durable and offers good grip.
- Also rated as the Best Wide Width Walking Shoe for Women becuase of its wider fit.
- Available in six color designs.
I have taken a shoe from every category that is my best choice for back pain which will serve every occasion. I have personally tried some of these shoes and most definitely recommend them for back pain. Keep in mind to always look for a shoe that provides good arch support, motion control and that reduces the impact on your heels when you are looking for a good shoe for back pain.
Table of Contents
- Index Table for the Best Shoes for Lower Back Pain
- The Effect that Lower Back Pain has on your Life
- How To Manage Lower Back Pain
- Causes of lower back pain
- Features of a Good Shoe for Lower Back Pain
- The best Shoes for Lower Back Pain
- Sandals for Lower Back Pain
- Slip-On Shoes for Back Pain
- Lower Back Pain Orthopedic Shoe
- Ankle Boot for Back Pain
- Running Shoe for Back Pain
- Back Pain Athletic Shoes
- Athletic Shoe for Lower Back Pain
- Walking Shoes for Lower Back Pain