Most people have experienced lower back pain at some stage of their lives.
It can start from a dull pain in the lower back and become worse when you exercise or play sports.
One of the most important methods for managing back pain is to wear appropriate footwear as well as to do ample stretching before strenuous exercise.
When back pain becomes severe it can have quite an effect on your life, here are some effects that I have noticed in my life as my back pain became worse and more frequent;
The Effect that Lower Back Pain has on your Life
Lower back pain can affect various aspects of your life depending on the severity and cause of the lower back pain.
Here are a few areas in which lower back pain can affect your life;
Mobility and Pain
Lower back pain has caused me to move slower and become more wary of performing certain daily activities.
When the pain becomes more noticeable and less avoidable, people tend to start performing fewer activities and move more carefully in order to prevent pain.
Emotions and Moods
When you are chronically in pain, particularly back pain you have a much lower tolerance to stress and becomes more sensitive to anything that might aggravate the pain.
Back pain can take quite some time to improve and does not change much from day to day; my results in an ongoing negative mood and emotions.
Because back pain can become worse quite fast a person suffering from severe back pain will become moodier and have negative emotions rather than feelings of relief and comfort.
The way in which lower Back pain affects mobility and sensitivity to pain also affects the ability to be actively involved with the family.
As the pain progresses and becomes worse, you can become more frustrated and start to avoid spending time with family and friends.
Rest and Sleep
Lower back pain can influence the quality of rest and sleep. Constant back pain is exhausting in itself, and therefore enough rest and sleep are required in the healing process.
Sleeping can be quite uncomfortable with lower back pain, but finding a sleeping position that is comfortable or option for an orthopedic mattress or pillow can bring much relief.
Causes of Lower Back Pain
Improper alignment of your entire body from head to toe is the main cause of lower back pain.
Your joints and muscles get stressed and strained if your body usually remains out of alignment.
In order to restore this alignment, your body has to compensate in some way, and this consistent compensation can cause a number of health problems including pain in the lower back.
If you have a flat foot, an impact from running and walking can cause stress on your back, Running Shoes for Flat Feet can help to reduce impact by providing better shock absorbency.
Other reasons for lower back pain
Here are some more reasons I have come across, for Back Pain;
- Standing or sitting in an awkward for a long period of time.
- Handling heavy objects inappropriately.
- Excessive physical exertion during a workout or at work.
- A Back Injury.
- Sciatica, which is compression of a spinal nerve root in the lower back.
- Age-related problems.
- Occupations involving strenuous activities or lifting of heavy objects.
- Being inactive.
Features of a Good Shoe for Lower Back Pain
Firstly and most importantly you need to find out what type of arch your foot has because a shoe that is good for your back needs to work well with the natural arch of your feet.
There are three types of arches; low arches (pronation), neutral or normal arches, and high arches (supination).
A good shoe which provides motion control will help with pronation, but also gives stability to a neutral arch and cushioning for supination arches.
Shoes that promote foot striking the ground with the middle or front of the foot rather than the heel are also an excellent choice, as the impact on the heels can affect your lower back.
You can also get specially designed insoles or orthotics that provide extra support for back pain relief.
Reviews: Best Shoes for Lower Back Pain
Listed here are a few of my favorite shoe choices for lower back pain, I have added some reviews and specs to make your decision easier;
Back Pain Preventing Running Shoe
The Hoka One Bondi 6 is one of the most cushioned and supportive running shoes that you will find. This shoe provides the best in shock absorption and motion control.
- Gives you an enhanced smooth and balanced ride on any road.
- Meta-Rocker technology for the best in motion control.
- Supple and breathable mesh and synthetic uppers.
- A well cushioned full EVA midsole.
- Durable and thick outsole for maximum shock absorbency and excellent traction.
Back Pain Cushioned Running Shoe
A comfortable and supportive running shoe, the Gel-Kayano 25 is an updated version that has so much more characteristics to offer.
- Mesh and synthetic uppers that are flexible and breathable to keep your feet cool and comfortable.
- The Dynamic DuoMax support system provides the best support and stability functions.
- An Impact Guidance system and Trusstic system to enhance gait efficiency and give structural support to the midfoot.
- Premium Flytefoam cushioning for plush comfort and support.
- A durable rubber
Lower Back Pain Orthopedic Shoe
The Orthofeet Orthopedic shoe is an exceptional and comfortable that offers great relief and support particularly if you suffer from lower back pain. This is a glamorous and fashionable shoe for special occasions and formal events.
- Manufactured from soft and supple leather.
- A Multi-Layered removable orthotic insert provides anatomical support and arch support.
- Designed to soften your steps and facilitate foot motion reducing stress on the joints and lower back.
- A lightweight cushioned sole ensures natural gait with the Ergonomic Stride technology.
- The non-binding design with a smooth fabric lining and padded foam reduces irritation and enhances comfort.
- A Biomechanical design with unique comfort features for an orthopedic shoe that is perfect for back and foot pain, Diabetes as well as many other conditions.
Ankle Boot for Back Pain
The Vionic Boot is an orthopedic ankle boot that will aid in relieving back pain as well as many other feet and lower limb conditions.
This boot helps to align your feet naturally and enhances walking motion while providing superb comfort in an attractive everyday wear boot.
- Manufactured from soft full grain leather.
- The buckle instep straps in the Vionic Adrie and the lace-up system in the Vionic Ryan ensures a better fit and enhances the design.
- A durable rubber outsole for added support.
- Orthaheel technology and a biomechanical orthotic footbed that helps to align your feet naturally and reduces overpronation.
- Available in a few neutral colors.
Running Shoe for Back Pain
Saucony is well known for their creatively designed and engineered shoe that will aid to maximize your performance and give you the comfort and support that you need to perform your activities.
The Saucony Zealot is a running shoe that is designed to give maximum support and motion control that is a great advantage for people who suffer from back pain.
- The uppers are made from breathable ISOFIT mesh and lightweight synthetic overlays.
- A rubber sole for excellent grip and traction.
- Neutral cushioning for added support.
- The tongue and collar are padded for a comfortable fit.
- A Powergrid Midsole for stability and support.
- A 3mm EVERUN topsole and updated Triflex outsole that allows more flexible movement.
- Available in a variety of colors and designs.
Back Pain Athletic Shoes
The Asics Gel Cumulus 20 is one of the best available running shoes that will not only offer you back pain relief but also relief from many other foot conditions.
- The Asics Cumulus is one of the best shoes for the gym for people with lower back pain.
- Breathable and flexible synthetic and mesh uppers.
- An Impact Guidance System to enhance the foot’s natural gait cycle.
- The Fluidride midsole provides a combination of bounce back and exceptional cushioning.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot Gel cushioning for better shock absorbency and movement on multiple planes.
- A durable rubber outsole for excellent grip and traction.
Normal Arch to Flat Feet Running Shoe
The New Balance 1540V2 is an athletic shoe that will aid in reducing impact and strain on the feet and lower limbs reducing back ankle and knee pain.
- The blown rubber outsole offers great grip on many floor surfaces.
- A foam collar for a more comfortable fit.
- The No-Sew material application technology gives this shoe an even better and more comfortable fit.
- The uppers are manufactured from breathable mesh and synthetic materials.
- Offer excellent shock absorption and support to prevent back pain, foot conditions, and injuries.
Slip-On Shoes for Back Pain
The Merrel Slip-on Shoe is a stylish and comfortable shoe that is perfect for work and as a dress shoe. It offers all the comfort and support characteristics to help reduce back pain and improve your posture when walking.
- Imported leather uppers.
- A durable rubber M-Select grip sole that improves grip and traction.
- The Lycra Neoprene stretch collar makes these shoes easy to put on and take off.
- M Select fresh technology and pigskin and mesh insole lining, for a more breathable and odor-resistant shoe
- A stable metal arch shank which offers support to improve back alignment.
- Merrel air cushioning to reduce impact and an EVA insole for added cushioning throughout the day.
- Ice grip outsole with a warm and comfortable interior make it a perfect winter shoe.
Casual Walking Shoe for Back Pain Relief
The Brooks Addiction Walker is a stunning walking shoe that can likewise be worn as a casual shoe. This shoe offers some exceptional comfort features that will provide relief from back pain.
- Supple full grain genuine leather uppers.
- A MoGo midsole that returns energy to the feet and ensures plush cushioned comfort.
- The durable and thick rubber outsole absorbs shock and offers excellent grip.
- This shoe similarly provides very good arch support, particularly for overpronators.
- Each available in three neutral color options.
Sandals for Lower Back Pain
The Propet Sandal is a casual sandal that is ideal for people suffering from lower back pain. This shoe has extra padding and a high-performance rubber sole that provides superb support and shock absorption.
- Manufactured from high-quality Nubuck leather.
- Lined with comfortable soft padding for extra support.
- The insole and midsole have been covered with microfiber EVA and is contoured for better cushioning.
- The three hook and loop straps on the instep, forefoot, and heel give you an adjustable and comfortable fit.
- The outsole is manufactured from high performance, durable rubber that offers excellent support and traction.
- Podiatrist designed Rejuve technology.
How To Manage Lower Back Pain
Luckily, with the technology we have today, there are quite a few methods that can be used to relieve lower back pain and reduce further damage.
The use of supportive devices to align your back, hot and cold compresses, and other medicinal treatments will provide all the needed aid with lower back pain.
After controlling the pain, my condition can be prevented by improving your posture while standing and sitting, toning and stretching your back muscles regularly and wearing supportive shoes to maintain the alignment of your back.
Wearing the right footwear helps me to reduce and relieve my lower back pain and prevents further injuries and damage to my back.
Index Table: Best Shoes for Lower Back Pain
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Hoka One® - Back Pain Preventing Running Shoe||Hoka One||95|
|2||Asics® - Back Pain Cushioned Running Shoe||Asics||98|
|3||Orthofeet® - Lower Back Pain Orthopedic Shoe||Orthofeet||95|
|4||Vionic® - Ankle Boot for Back Pain||Vionic||95|
|5||Saucony® - Running Shoe for Back Pain||Saucony||96|
|6||Asics® - Back Pain Athletic Shoes||Asics||98|
|7||New Balance® - Normal Arch to Flat Feet Running Shoe||New Balance||92|
|8||Merrell® - Slip-On Shoes for Back Pain||Merrell||97|
|9||Brooks® - Casual Walking Shoe for Back Pain Relief||Brooks||97|
|10||Propet® - Sandals for Lower Back Pain||Propet||96|
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- The Effect that Lower Back Pain has on your Life
- Causes of Lower Back Pain
- Features of a Good Shoe for Lower Back Pain
- Reviews: Best Shoes for Lower Back Pain
- Back Pain Preventing Running Shoe
- Back Pain Cushioned Running Shoe
- Lower Back Pain Orthopedic Shoe
- Ankle Boot for Back Pain
- Running Shoe for Back Pain
- Back Pain Athletic Shoes
- Normal Arch to Flat Feet Running Shoe
- Slip-On Shoes for Back Pain
- Casual Walking Shoe for Back Pain Relief
- Sandals for Lower Back Pain
- How To Manage Lower Back Pain
- Index Table: Best Shoes for Lower Back Pain