A stiff and painful big toe joint, Hallux Rigidus can be quite debilitating and can affect your quality of life and the enjoyment of certain activities.
Yet all hope is not lost, using proper footwear can greatly enhance your quality in life and help you perform all the activities you used to pain free and with ease.
How Does Hallux Rigidus Develop
In the MTP joint of your foot, as with all other joints of the body, the end of the bones is covered with cartilage that aids in smoother movement, and as a form of lubrication.
Gradual wear and tear and acute injuries can cause this cartilage to break down, which is known as osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis. This results in bone on bone contact with no lubrication and protection which causes inflammation and pain. As a part of this process, bone spurs may likewise develop on top of the bones, narrowing the joint space thus reducing your ability in motion.
In turn, all of this can impact the way you walk and run and contribute to the pain you feel in the ball of your foot and even you back in some cases.
The causes of Hallux Rigidus is not quite clear, although as we can see degeneration is mainly caused by Osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis.
Besides this, here are a few risk factors and causes involved;
- Hereditary or congenital defects in the foot.
- Faulty foot mechanics.
- Chronic Stress on the big toe joint.
- Turf Toe.
- Activities on artificial surfaces.
- A toe Stub or break.
- Repetitive use of certain positions such as in Ballet.
Hallux Rigidus Treatment and Prevention
Early signs of Hallux Rigidus include pain and stiffness in the big toe when in use, walking or running, this joint may also become red and swollen.
It is important to find medical help at early stages for the best treatments although there are some at-home pain relief remedies;
- Symptom Relief – You can rest the foot and use ice to reduce pain and swelling, as well as anti-inflammatory medications for symptoms treatment.
Injury Prevention – Always try to avoid high impact activities that place excess stress on the feet, such as running, jumping and tennis. Try swimming and bicycling as an alternative. Use a simple range of motion and flex exercises to exercise the big toe and keep it more flexible if you can.
Improved Foot Mechanics – Try to correct some of the issues that may have caused, or are aggravation the condition in your big toe. Get a shoe with a spacious toe box, avoid high heels and narrow shoes, try to get a Rocker Bottom style shoe, and use inserts in your shoes.
Features of a Good Hallux Rigidus Shoe
- Wide and roomy Toe Box.
- Seamless linings that wick away moisture.
- Soft and Flexible Uppers.
- Rocker Bottom or thick rubber outsole.
- Stability and Arch Support.
- Stable Heel.
- Cushioned and Shock Absorbing.
- High Traction Outsole.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Hallux Rigidus
Below are some of the most comfortable and supportive shoes for Hallux Rigidus;
Halux Rigidus Running Shoe
The Brooks Adrenalin is one of the best shoe options for walking or running if you have painful Hallux Rigidus.
- Lightweight and breathable synthetic and leather uppers, with a wider toe box design.
- A non-irritating and moisture-wicking fabric lining.
- A highly supportive, and removable moldable foam insole for cushioning and shock absorbency.
- BioMoGo DNA which ensures better shock absorbency and cushioning.
- A durable and high traction rubber outsole.
Hallux Rigidus Work Shoe
A versatile and highly comfortable Dighton from Skechers, for work and play. This shoe features a relaxed comfortable fit, with a memory foam insole, shock absorbing midsole, and a slip-resistant outsole.
- Soft and supple smooth leather uppers that are gentle and flexible on the feet.
- Lace up design with stitching accents, for appeal and a better fit.
- The fabric tongue has a breathable mesh.
- Relaxed fit design for a wider and more comfortable fit.
- A memory foam cushion and superb arch support.
- The midsole offers excellent shock absorbency.
- A high traction rubber outsole.
Walking Shoe for Hallux Rigidus
The New Balance 928 Wide Walking is one of the best walking shoes if you have Hallux Rigidus.
- There are supple Leather uppers with a cushioned collar for a comfortable and snug fit.
- The durable rubber sole has a walking strike path tread for good grip and stability.
- The Roll bar technology aids to reduce motion and keep your feet stable when walking or running.
- Cushioning and shock absorbency with the Absorb Midfoot cushion system.
- Inside is a seamless odor resistant Phantom liner to keep your feet comfortable and odor-free.
- Available in narrow, medium and wide widths for you to choose from.
- Available in neutral colors.
Outdoor Sandals for Hallux Rigidus
The best outdoor sandal for protection and comfort when you suffer from Hallux Rigidus is the keen Whisper and Newport.
- Keen sandal has a razor zipped outsole with 3mm lugs for the best traction you can get on different terrains.
- Superb design for outdoor trail walking, or for wearing in wet environments, and even to the beach.
- Washable and durable polyester webbing in the uppers.
- An Aegis Microbe Shield to keep your feet free from odor and infection.
- Reinforced toe that offers toe protection against bumps and scrapes on different terrains.
- A comfortable and supportive footbed.
- There are many colors and patterns available to choose from.
Hallux Rigidus Walking Shoe
A cushioned and stability Walking from Propet with features to accommodate and soothe hallux rigidus.
- A comfortable and supportive Therapeutic Walking shoe with a cushioned removable foot bed, allowing you the use of your own orthotics.
- Supple, smooth leather uppers that are durable and very easy to clean.
- The Rigid Heel counter and PU outsole, offer superb traction and shock absorbency.
- Available in wider widths and larger sizes to accommodate every foot shape and size.
Shoes for Hallux Rigidus
- Soft woven and breathable mesh fabric uppers, that allow for efficient ventilation.
- A Flexible rubber outsole which likewise ensures and offers excellent grip and traction.
- An Air Cooled Memory foam topped and cushioned insole.
- The midsole has textured side panels for stability and is cushioned for better shock absorbency.
- Offers a more loose and relaxed fit option.
- Available in few Neutral Color Options to Choose From.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Hallux Rigidus
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Brooks® - Halux Rigidus Running Shoe||Brooks||98|
|2||Skechers® - Hallux Rigidus Work Shoe||Skechers||97|
|3||New Balance® - Walking Shoe for Hallux Rigidus||New Balance||97|
|4||Keen® - Outdoor Sandals for Hallux Rigidus||Keen||95|
|5||Propet® - Hallux Rigidus Walking Shoe||Propet||98|
|6||Skechers® - Shoes for Hallux Rigidus||Skechers||98|
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- How Does Hallux Rigidus Develop
- Hallux Rigidus Treatment and Prevention
- Features of a Good Hallux Rigidus Shoe
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Hallux Rigidus
- Halux Rigidus Running Shoe
- Hallux Rigidus Work Shoe
- Walking Shoe for Hallux Rigidus
- Outdoor Sandals for Hallux Rigidus
- Hallux Rigidus Walking Shoe
- Shoes for Hallux Rigidus
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Hallux Rigidus