When working as a Doctor in an out of hospital you will fast realize how important comfortable and supportive shoes are, as your feet go through much pain and stress on a daily basis.
As a Doctor, you need footwear that will support you in all areas of your occupation, providing, comfort, protection against work hazards, and durability for all-day wear.
What to Look For in a Doctors Shoe
Let me start off with what exactly you need to consider in a shoe for your occupation as a doctor;
- Water Resistant or Waterproof – Because you will come into contact with a variety of bodily fluids and other fluids, water resistance is very important. To make sure a pair of shoes are water resistant check the label, or description of the shoe carefully. Bloodborne pathogens are another hazard involved which is necessary for protection against. Besides these reasons a water-resistant shoe is easily cleaned between shifts and does not need drying time.
Comfortable Insole – The first thing that any doctor will tell you about their shoes is that they need to be comfortable. A soft and cushioned insole is vital, a removable one even more so, as you can add a new one when you are worn out. A removable insole likewise allows you to use your own specialized foot orthotics.
Arch Support – Besides comfort, support is just as important. The entire weight of your body rests on your feet and places strain mostly on your heels and forefeet depending on your arch type. Arch support helps to disperse weight more evenly and reduce the impact on your heels. Supportive footwear helps to reduce your risk of developing painful foot conditions such as Plantar Fasciitis.
Slip On Feature – Not quite an important must, but so convenient is a slip-on shoe that you can easily slip on and off, without touching it for hygiene reasons as well as quick convenience when you need to kick off your shoes after a long day and rest.
Durability – There’s nothing worse than just getting comfortable in your favorite work shoes and then having to replace them. Replacing your shoes on a regular basis can be costly, and you have to go through that nasty break-in the period over and over again. Unfortunately with the job comes loads of mileage and wear and tear on your shoes. Therefore good quality materials and craftsmanship are of utmost importance. Rather invest in something substantial now than having to replace your shoes regularly which is even more costly.
Lightweight and Breathable – A shoe that is lightweight will cause less foot fatigue and will prevent your feet from becoming sore and tired with those long shifts, not to mention allowing much faster and easier movement. Breathability is important to keep your feet dry and cool when you are actively on your feet all day to prevent moisture and odor build up.
Grip – Most likely one of the most important features of a good shoe for Doctors is slip resistance. You will most definitely be working on a slippery or wet floor at some or other stage of your career which increases your chance of slips and falls. A Good gripping slip and oil resistant rubber outsole with a lug tread should do the trick and keep you safe from slips.
Why the Fit is Important
Some shoes may require a break in period to become more comfortable, although this is quite unlikely with professional doctors and surgeons shoes.
One thing that I would highly recommend for this practice where you need comfort on your feet immediately that will not change over time, is to make sure your shoes fit properly.
They need to fit snugly without squeezing and with ample toe room, and also not so loose as to cause chafing and irritation, as this can be just as irritating.
Features of a Good Shoe for Doctors
- Memory foam, EVA or PU footbed or insole.
- Moisture-wicking and ventilated inner lining.
- Slip on and off design or a secure lacing system.
- Waterproof uppers and sole.
- Comfortable and supportive footbed.
- Slip-resistant Rubber or PU outsole.
- Lightweight construction and breatability features.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Doctors
Here are a few of your best choices when it comes to shoes for Doctors;
One of the more popular shoe brands for chefs and nurses alike, which I thought is ideal for Doctors, is the Dansko Professional.
- Made with 1005 durable leather that has a waterproof membrane.
- A clog design with a wider toe box for more movement room and a comfortable slip on and off the design.
- The polyurethane outsole has a rocker bottom design for better stability and shock absorbency.
- There is a padded instep collar for comfort and a PU inner frame for stability.
- The outsole hence offers excellent slip resistance and is highly durable.
- The footbed is made from luxury,Memory Foam, That contours to the shape of your feet.
- Very easy to clean with a damp cloth, as well as quick drying.
- Durable enough for everyday rigorous wear.
The StickyPro is one of the best shoes you will find in terms of slip resistance, as noted by the name itself. This lovely shoe is available in many neutral and fun and feminine color options to choose from. They are also so affordable that you could get more than one pair in your favorite colors.
- Synthetic leather uppers that are completely waterproof, very easy to clean and quick drying.
- The rubber outsole is super slip resistant and very powerful when it comes to grip.
- There are an anti-torsion system and shock absorber for support and comfort.
- A comfortable and cushioned insole and excellent support for your feet.
The Skechers for work sure track is not only very comfortable and extremely slip resistant, but it also has an additional feature of being electrical hazard safe as well.
- A Low cut design with a comfortable and relaxed fit and soft leather uppers.
- There is a traditional lace-up closure that is quick and easy to lace up or remove.
- The tongue and collar are padded for comfort and there is a memory foam removable cushioned footbed.
- Inside is a ventilated lining to provide breathability, and a supportive shock absorbing midsole.
- The outsole is made from Nitrile Rubber, That ensures superb slip resistance on almost any surface.
- The slip-resistant sole and electrical hazard safe materials are ASTM rated and tested for quality and efficiency.
Another exceptional model from Sticky, the ClassicPro is a bit more elegant and fashionable for professional use and the consultation room.
- The durable non-slip outsole will protect you on even the most slippery of surfaces.
- Thermoplastic elastomer uppers that are completely Waterproof.
- A professional design and more classy appeal.
- Made with an anti-torsion system for those long shifts.
- Easy to clean and quick drying with an easy slip on and off the design.
- Offers excellent support and comfort with a comfortable insole.
One of the most lightweight work shoes that you will find is the Crocs brand, the Crosslite material offers cushioned comfort, is water resistant and easy to clean while being super lightweight.
- Made from lightweight and cushioning Crosslite materials.
- Slip Resistant Outsole.
- Easy to clean with a damp cloth and very quick drying.
- There are air holes for ventilation and breathability.
- Features an easy slip on and off the design.
- Affordable and durable so you can replace them without breaking the bank.
- Comfortable double cushioned Crosslite insole.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Doctors
|1||Dansko Women's Professional - Doctor’s Mule||Dansko||97|
|2||Sticky Women's StickyPro - comfortable Shoes for Doctors||Sticky||98|
|3||Skechers for Work Women's Suretrack - Shoes for Doctors||Skechers for Work||98|
|4||Sticky Women's ClassicPro - Slip Resistant Doctor’s Shoes||Sticky||98|
|5||Crocs Women's Mercy - Slip on Breathable Doctors Shoe||Crocs||97|
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- What to Look For in a Doctors Shoe
- Why the Fit is Important
- Features of a Good Shoe for Doctors
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Doctors
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Doctors