A Good Shoe for a Foot Drop needs to be Lightweight, Support and able to Hold your feet firmly in place.
What Exactly is a Foot Drop
A Foot Drop, or as it is also called, Drop foot is a general term used when you have difficulty in lifting the front part of your feet.
When you have a Foot drop your toes and front part of your feet will drag on the ground when you walk or run.
A Foot Drop at ist best is not actually a disease, but rather a sigh=n that there may be an underlying Nuerological, Muscular or Anatomical issue.
Overall a Foot Drop may only be temporary and in other cases permanent if you are unlucky. In all cases, you will need supportive footwear and in some maybe a foot and ankle brace to hold your feet in a normal position.
Symptoms of a Foot Drop may Include;
- Your front foot drags on the floor when you walk.
- You find it difficult to climbs stairs.
- You are unable to lift the front part of your feet.
- Your ankles and legs feel tight and painful.
- The skin on the top of your feet feel numb and your toes may feel numb.
Some Cause Could Be;
- Nerve Injury – One of the most common causes of a foot drop is if there is compression to the nerve in your legs that control your muscles involved with lifting your feet, you’re (peroneal nerve). A pinched nerve in your spine could also be the culprit in this case.
- Muscle and Nerve Disorders 0 there are variou8s form s of muscle dystrophy and weakness that can contribute to a foot drop, along with compressed nerves. One condition that may be a cause is called Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, and then there is also Polio.
- Brain and Spinal Cord Disorders – Any disorder that affects your brain or spinal cord, including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis and even a stroke may, in turn, be the cause of a drop Foot or Foot Drop.
Making Your House Hazard Free
One of the main issues from having a Foot drop is that your Tripping and Falling risks are greatly increased. Therefore I would highly recommend the following safety precautions and hazard prevention in your home;
- Make sure to keep all floor surfaces and walkways completely clean of clutter and objects lying around.
- Avoid using throw rugs and mats that can slip or cause a tripping hazard.
Make sure to keep all electrical cord out of the way.
- Ensure that you have ample lighting in all walkways and stairways particularly.
- You can place fluorescent tape ta the top and bottom stairs of your stairway.
- Be extremely careful when climbing a stair or lifting your feet.
- Always keep walkways clear, and furniture well out of the way where you walk.
Features of a Good Shoe for A Foot Drop
When you have a Foot Drop your physician may recommend an Ankle-Foot-Orthosis (AFO) device such as an elevated foot drop brace, which you can wear with your shoes. In many cases, you will need a shoe that accommodates this device.
In general, when it comes to a foot drop, it is good to have an extra depth and toe room in your shoes, or a removable insole to allow you to use prescribed orthotics.
Although a shoe that fits comfortably for you personally is the best bet. Overall I would suggest extra depth, cushioning, and a firm hold or stability features, which seem to be the most important features in a good shoe for a Foot Drop.
- Arch support for your arch type.
- Extra depth and toe room.
- Cushioning and support for comfort and shock absorbency.
- Stability and motion control technology.
- A firm heel counter.
- Bretahability and a comfortable fit.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for A Foot Drop
These are some generally good shoe options for a Foot Drop;
The Ecco Damara and Cruise Sport sandal has the ideal fit and shape for a Foot Drop and to accommodate orthotics and AFO devices.
- Sot and supple leather uppers straps with a luxurious natural texture.
- The Criss-Cross Vamp styling ensures a highly supportive and stabilizing fit.
- A cushioned EVA footbed, for plush comfort with a moisture-wicking microfiber lining.
- The Direct Inju=ected PUY single density outsole is very lightweight and flexible.features the FLUIDFORM Technology, that makes these shoes very hard wearing and extremely easy to walk in.
- The microfiber lining gives a soft and smooth feel against the skin.
- There are some color variations available.
This is a stylish and comfortable slip-on loafer from Hush Puppies. Hush Puppies is a brand that offers shoes of superior quality with orthopedic comfort and support features.
- Genuine soft and supple leather uppers that are highly durable and excellent quality.
- There are a double-stitched apron toe and elastic insets for a snug fit and easy entry.
- This shoe features HP02 Flex Technology, for flexibility and a secure and firm fit.
- A solid and comfortable sole that is highly durable.
- The toe has a roomy design, and you can use your own orthotics.
- Available in a few neutral color options for your perusal.
The Avia Avi-Verge Sneaker offers a superb fit and the most comfortable cushioning technology, along with lightweight construction and flexibility, ideal for a drop foot.
- Synthetic and breathable uppers construction with a customizable lace-up system.
- There are ample toe room and depth inside the shoe for your own orthotics.
- A plush memory foam sock liner for comfort and cushioned EVA midsole for shock absorbency.
- The thick and durable rubber outsole provides excellent slip resistance.
- Also avaible in wider width options.
Besides the slip-on design of this shoe which is a must for a Foot Drop, I also love the fact that has an extra depth design, and removable insert to allow you space for your won orthotic devices.
- A comfort Gel insole, that is removable allowing you the use of your won orthotics.
- A comfortable Orthality footbed that provides extremely lightweight cushioning and shock absorbency.
- Extra depth and non-binding design.
- Seam-free with a soft lining to prevent moisture build-up and irritation.
- A durable and high traction outsole.
- Classy a sophisticated looking shoe, stylish enough to wear for any occasion.
The Brooks Adrenaline GTS is full of characteristics and features which are sought after for a Drop Foot.
- Let’s start off with the shock-absorbing and high gripping rubber outsole.
- The new GTS 19 has a more streamlined construction and better supportive cushioning that s more responsive and reliable.
- Offer excellent Stability and Overpronation support.
- High energizing cushioning capabilities.
- The 3D fit uppers, offer a streamlined structure and a comfortable fit, with the addition of Guide Rails to protect your knees and ankles.
- The tongue and collar are plush and padded for more comfort.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for A Foot Drop
|1||ECCO - Criss Cross Foot Drop Sandal||ECCO||88|
|2||Hush Puppies - Foot Drop Slip On Loafer||Hush Puppies||80|
|3||Avia - Foot Drop Sneaker||Avia||86|
|4||Orthofeet - Foot Drop Orthopedic Shoes||Orthofeet||84|
|5||Brooks Adrenaline - Sneakers for a Foot Drop||Brooks Adrenaline||78|
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- What Exactly is a Foot Drop
- Making Your House Hazard Free
- Features of a Good Shoe for A Foot Drop
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for A Foot Drop
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for A Foot Drop
Last update on 2020-07-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API