Running is a form of sport or exercise that requires very little gear and few skills in order to start with. Therefore it attracts a large number of athletes and beginners. When you spend a bit more time running, you soon come to realize that your technique and form of breathing is just as important and that a properly fitting pair of running shoes is essential.
Index Table for Running Shoes for Supination
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Nike® - Running Shoe for Supination||Nike||97|
|2||Saucony® - Stability Running Shoe for Supination||Saucony||96|
|3||Adidas® - Supination Running Shoe||Adidas||94|
|4||Asics® - Running Shoe for Supination||Asics||96|
|5||Brooks® - Wide Width Running Shoe for Supinators||Brooks||96|
|6||Asics® - Running Shoe for Supination||Asics||96|
|7||Mizuno® - A Supination Running shoe for the Neutral Runner||Mizuno||94|
|8||Brooks® - Minimalist Running Shoe for Supination||Brooks||94|
What is Supination
Supination occurs when your feet roll outward excessively when you run or walk. Supination is the opposite of pronation where your feet roll inward. When you supinate your heel strikes first, and your weight rolls to the outside of your feet as your foot hits the ground.
To get a better understanding you can view the article explaining What Supination is.
When you push off the outside of your foot during supination, your foot’s ability to absorb impact is decreased, and this can result in knee, hip, heel or back pain. The most common running injuries that result from supination are Plantar Fasciitis, Shin Splints, and Ankle Sprains.
You can look at this article, who is more prone to supination for some more insight.
What Causes Supination in Runners
A runner who has higher arches are more likely to supinate whereas runners with flat feet or low arches are more likely to pronate. You can check to see if you have a higher arch by wetting your feet and walking on concrete a high arch footprint will show your toes heel and only a thin strip of the outside of your foot. Higher arches lack the support and cause the weight of your stride to be pushed to the outside of your foot resulting in supination.
How can You Prevent or Correct Supination
You can make use of orthotic inserts that provide arch support and prevent the outward over-rotation of your feet. You can also obtain running shoes that have extra padding and cushioning to absorb shock and support your arches; this will prevent overuse injuries due to supination. Shoes that have a more rigid forefoot, a flexible midsole that is single density and has a lightweight construction will also prevent supination and improve the natural movement of your foot. The key aspect in a good running shoe for Supination or high arches is, of course, the cushioning, for supination and high arches you want extensive cushioning and shock absorption with good arch support.
Choosing a Running Shoe for Supination
For runners who tend to under pronate or supinate excessively when they run a special type of running shoe may be required to prevent injury and damage to the feet and lower limbs.
The Difference Between a Shoe for Overpronation and a Shoe for Underpronation
Running shoes designed for people who overpronate have many stabilizing and motion control features along with other specialized features. A running shoe for someone who under pronates or supinates have very moderate features and some or no stabilizing features. Running shoes for supinators are simply more flexible and have superior cushioning characteristics.
How Does a Cushioned and Flexible Running Shoe Help for Supination
People who supinate tend to have a higher arch and a more rigid ankle along with an extremely straight gait cycle. This does not pose any issues on uneven terrain but on flat and normal terrain, and hard floor surfaces a stability shoe preventing the foot from rolling inward is not effective. A shoe that allows the foot to move as flexible as possible and roll as far as it can at the end of the stride will be much more suitable. Because people who supinate are more prone to shin splints, fractures, ankle and knee injuries as the result of the mechanics of their stride, cushioning that jars the impact of their stride proves to be very effective.
The Signs and Symptoms of Supination
Though you should first seek the advice of your podiatrist to make sure that you do in fact Supinate there are a few signs and symptoms that pint to excessive under pronation or supination;
- Your running shoes will wear down on the edge or outside of the sole at the forefoot or heel.
- your running shoes will tip outward when they are lying flat.
- You will be more prone to ankle sprains.
- A person gait that is characterized by under pronation can cause shin splints.
- Over supination can also cause a condition called Plantar Fasciitis which causes heel pain.
- A Claw Toe is another foot condition associated with supination.
- You may also experience stress fractures in your legs and feet due to severe under pronation.
- Because your gait is more supinated the smaller toes of your foot are more prone to injury because they are used in the push off stage rather than you’re larger and stronger toes.
- People who are bow-legged may also be more likely to under pronate.
What to Look for and to Avoid In A Running Shoe for Supination
Someone who supinates needs good shock absorption in a running shoe, therefore, a generously cushioned running shoe with added cushioning in the midsole will bear the higher impact of running on a supinator.
You can also look at The best Shoes for Supination for a larger variety, or the Best Running Shoes for High Arches should you supinate as cause of a high arch.
Try rather avoid rigid stabilization and look for a more flexible midsole that allows as much pronation as possible. A perfect running shoe for someone who supinates is lightweight and has a flexible medial area.
In general, more runners overpronate than runners who under pronate or supinate so many athletic shoes have a design that can make supination worse. When you supinate, it is best to try and completely avoid stability or motion control running shoes.
What Constitutes the Best Running Shoes for Supination
For a runner that supinates or under pronates excessively a shoe that has superior and ample cushioning for the best shock absorption is the priority. A shoe that has a soft and flexible midsole or a single midsole that is also lightweight will allow for better pronation and more natural movement.
Features to Avoid in a Running Shoe if You Supinate
When selecting a running shoe for supination always avoid heavy duty stabilizing technology, a hard midsole, and medial support posts. Stability and motion control shoes are not good options at all for someone who supinates and will cause more damage than doing good.
What are the Characteristics of a Shoe for Supination
- Cushioning that provides good shock absorption.
- A more rigid forefoot.
- A softer and more flexible midsole the single density works the best.
- The shoe must be lightweight.
The Best Running Shoes for Supination Reviews
If you are looking for running shoes that will prevent or correct supination, then look no further, here are the top choices in running shoes that are specially designed for people who tend to supinate;1
Running Shoe for Supination
The Nike Free 5.0 is one of the highest rated running shoes for Supination, you provides exceptional arch support and strengthen your natural motion.
- Breathable and lightweight mesh uppers with a textured mesh full inner sleeve for a more sock-like fit and easy on and off.
- The Nike Free has superior cushioning for shock absorption and helps to strengthen your feet improving natural motion.
- The asymmetrical lacing system reduces pressure on the top ridge of the foot.
- Diagonal cuts through the arch of the shoe encourage natural motion and improve strength and mobility.
- The Nike Free 5.0 is available in a large variety of colors.
Stability Running Shoe for Supination
Saucony is a respected and popular name in running shoes. The Cohesion 8 provides superior cushioning and shock absorption while keeping your feet cool and dry with the breathability characteristics.
- The mesh and synthetic uppers are lightweight, flexible and breathable and also feature reflective hit fro better visibility during low light.
- The carbon rubber outsole material used on the Saucony Cohesion delivers maximum abrasion resistance and improved traction.
- A 12mm Heel grid system provides cushioned stability to the heel and reduces the impact on the heel.
- The removable foam insole along with the IMEVA midsole increases shock attenuation and provides responsive cushioning with lasting durability.
- The Saucony Cohesion 8 is available in many different color options.
Supination Running Shoe
The Adidas Supernova Glide 8 is a running shoe with the ideal amount of balance and support as well as breathability and energy return that will improve your performance and enhance comfort levels.
- The textile and synthetic uppers of the Adidas Supernova Glide 8 are comfortable and breathable keeping your feet cool and dry.
- The full-length boost midsole and molded synthetic midfoot and heel overlays provide exceptional support and stability.
- You will experience boosted energy return and have an endless supply of light and fast, energetic steps.
- A durable rubber outsole enhances grip and improves traction.
- The Torsion system provides, even more, midfoot integrity and support.
- The Adidas Supernova Glide 8 is a lightweight and supportive running shoe with many color options available.
Running Shoe for Supination
The Asics Gel Cumulus 18 is an exceptional running shoe that enhances your natural gait and provides supportive cushioning that protects your feet against impact.
- The Asics Gel Cumulus 18 has an impact guide system that enhances the foot’s natural gait from heel strike to toe-off and a Trusstic system to integrate guidance line construction for even more enhanced gait efficiency.
- The FluidRide technology and rearfoot and forefoot Gel cushioning systems provide ample shock absorption and supportive cushioning.
- The comfortable synthetic uppers provide lightweight support and a personalized fit.
- A durable rubber outsole tops off the Asics Gel Cumulus 18 and provides excellent traction.
Wide Width Running Shoe for Supinators
For a light and cushioned running experience you can perform at your peak with the supportive and lightweight Brooks Ghost 9.
- Super lightweight construction from breathable textile materials with no-sew overlays preventing irritation.
- The Brooks Ghost 9 has a specialized BioMoGo midsole that absorbs shock and provides added support.
- The heel and midfoot section of this shoe have a segmented crash pad and Omega flex grooves in the midsole for support and comfort.
- The adjustable saddle construction allows you a more comfortable and secure fit.
- This running shoe is also available in different colors.
Running Shoe for Supination
The Asics Gel Nimbus 18 has ample cushioning and a flexible FluidFit that is perfect for runners who supinate.
- The FluidFit upper consists of multi-directional stretch mesh with stretch reinforcements that create an adaptive fit to the athlete’s foot for a glove-like customized fit.
- A heel clutching system comprised of a heel counter that provides excellent support and a better heel fitting environment.
- The seamless construction of the Asics Gel Nimbus 18 prevents irritation and friction caused by stitches and seams.
- A FluidRide Midsole gives you excellent shock absorbency and bounces back cushioning with reduced weight.
- The durable rubber outsole provides excellent grip.
- The Asics Gel Nimbus 18 is available in a few color options.
A Supination Running shoe for the Neutral Runner
A comfortable and lightweight running shoe with a consistent fit for the neutral runner, the Mizuno Wave Rider 19 is a soft and responsive daily trainer.
- Durable and breathable uppers with a consistently soft and comfortable fit.
- The refined toe spring ensures better support and improves push off functioning.
- A premium sock liner will provide cushioned comfort and keep your feet dry.
- Excellent shock absorption and responsive cushioning for better support and less strain on your feet and lower limbs.
- The Mizuno Wave Rider is available in different shades of pinks and grays, as well as blue and blacks.
Minimalist Running Shoe for Supination
The Brooks Glycerin 14 is a breathable and lightweight running shoe with ample cushioning and a DNA midsole for enhanced shock absorption and energy return.
- Breathable and lightweight mesh uppers with adjustable saddle construction for a more snug and comfortable fit.
- The full-length Super DNA midsole and cushioned support deliver superior shock absorption and advanced energy return.
- The soft blown rubber forefoot provides lightweight cushioning and excellent grip.
- The 3D fit print overlays provide better structural support with less weight.
- The durable rubber outsole delivers superior grip and durability.
The Benefits of Choosing the Right Running Shoe for Supination
Running shoes designed for supinators are versatile and have exceptional cushioning that absorbs shock and prevents injuries due to the mechanics of a supinators stride. The listed running shoes are all superior and well know brand2s of running shoes that have the required features for supination.
There are not many runners that Supinate but for those that do the listed running shoes will provide much sought after relief and comfort.
A runner who supinates tends to wear out their shoes at the horizontal region causing their running shoes to become excessively stretched out quite fast. With excessive supination and added shock from running the runner may suffer from continuous lower leg sprains, bunions, tendonitis, callouses, as well as knee, his foot, and back aches. What happens when you run if you supinate is that the heels outside hit the ground first, and the foot does not move in an internal direction during the running cycle but rather remains focused on the side region of the foot. This causes excessive shock and results in the small toes are doing most of the push off work.
Wearing shoes that are specially designed to correct supination will prevent this cycle and give you a more natural stride and gait cycle using the correct parts of the foot in equilibrium. Shock absorption is increased, and the controlled motion ensures that there is less strain on your feet and lower limbs.
The correct shoe for Supination will not only relieve pain and conditions already present because of supination but will also prevent further damage and the onset of any pain or conditions caused by supination.
Table of Contents
- Index Table for Running Shoes for Supination
- What is Supination
- What Causes Supination in Runners
- How can You Prevent or Correct Supination
- Choosing a Running Shoe for Supination
- The Signs and Symptoms of Supination
- What to Look for and to Avoid In A Running Shoe for Supination
- What Constitutes the Best Running Shoes for Supination
- Features to Avoid in a Running Shoe if You Supinate
- What are the Characteristics of a Shoe for Supination
- The Best Running Shoes for Supination Reviews
- Running Shoe for Supination
- Stability Running Shoe for Supination
- Supination Running Shoe
- Running Shoe for Supination
- Wide Width Running Shoe for Supinators
- Running Shoe for Supination
- A Supination Running shoe for the Neutral Runner
- Minimalist Running Shoe for Supination
- The Benefits of Choosing the Right Running Shoe for Supination