Two of the major causes of running injuries are overpronation, and under pronation, although they are not the direct causes they do contribute towards injury and foot conditions. Your feet provide the base for propulsion, landing, and shock absorption when you run thus any issues with your feet can affect the rest of your joints and muscles used when you run as well as the overall biomechanics.
Comparison Table for the Best Running Shoes for Overpronation
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Nike® - Running Shoe for Overpronators||Nike||96|
|2||Brooks® - Running Shoe for Overpronation||Brooks||97|
|3||Asics® - Overpronation Running Shoe with Gel Cushioning||Asics||95|
|4||Saucony® - Comfortable Running Shoe for Overpronation||Saucony||96|
|5||Mizuno Wave® - High Traction Running Shoe for Overpronation||Mizuno Wave||95|
What exactly is Overpronation
Do you have Overpronation?
Pronation refers to the way your foot rolls inward to distribute the force of impact when your feet hit the ground as you run. Your foot rolls to the inside at about 15% and comes into contact with the ground completely supporting the weight of your entire body. Pronation is what helps you to push off evenly from the front of your foot and ensures the proper shock absorption.
Pronation is a natural movement of the foot, but according to the shape and size of the arch of a runner’s foot, you may over pronate or under pronate which can cause foot conditions or injuries.
When you have an average or neutral arch, you pronate normally, with a flat or low arch you tend to overpronate, and with a high arch you under pronate or supinate. you can also look at running shoes for flat feet, for overpronation.
Overpronation occurs when the heel makes initial contact with the ground during pronation, and the foot rolls inward more than 15%. This, in turn, means that your ankles cannot stabilize your body properly and that there is insufficient shock absorption. At the end of your gait cycle, your forefoot pushes off the ground and your big and second toe are sued mainly to do all the work.
How to Prevent Overpronation Injuries
Overpronation results in your muscles are becoming extra tight and more under stress, too much motion of the foot can also cause calluses, bunions, runners knee, plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis. Little stretching exercises before running as well as appropriate footwear will make a huge difference for a runner who overpronates.
Shoes that have straight or semi-curved lasts, motion control or stability shoes that limit pronation and provide support are excellent choices for overpronation. The use of over the counter orthotics and arch supports are also good ideas to aid with overpronation.
Choosing a Running Shoe for Overpronation
A runner who overpronates needs the maximum amount of support structured cushioning and stability. A shoe that provides some motion control and stability will help to distribute the impact from running more effectively. A firmer midsole and more arch support, as well as some extra cushioning, will provide the support and comfort needed for overpronation.
You can also have a look at Motion Control Running Shoes.
Features of a Running Shoe for Overpronation
- A cushioned and supportive midsole or insole.
- Good arch support.
- A frim structure and sole.
- Good stability, (such as the New Balance Stability Running Shoe).
- Motion control for severe overpronators.
- A durable and shock absorbing outsole ususally made from rubber.
The Best Rated Running Shoes for Over Pronation
We have researched and reviewed some of the best available running shoes that will help to correct overpronation and prevent injuries when running;1
Running Shoe for Overpronators
The Nike Lunar Glide 7 is a comfortable and lightweight running shoe manufactured from Flyknit material with Flywire cables for support.
- Flyknit material uppers that are breathable and lightweight constructed with Flywire cables for exceptional support and structure.
- The plush Lunarfoam cushioning provides excellent support and comfort.
- A durable rubber sole that provides lasting grip and shock absorption.
- The Nike Lunar Glide 7 is available in many colors and designs for every preference.
Running Shoe for Overpronation
An excellent choice for overpronation the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15 is comfortable, supportive and allows for more natural forefoot movement.
- Lightweight and breathable mesh uppers with an adjustable saddle design for more targeted support and a comfortable fit.
- The Element linings are breathable and wick away moisture keeping your feet cool and dry even in the most excruciating heat
- An HPR Plus provides long-lasting durability in all the high wear areas improving performance and longevity.
- The extended Caterpillar crash pad allows you full ground contact and the best heel to toe transitioning.
- The Omega Flex Grooves give you better forefoot movement and improve fluidity.
- The Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15 is available in a large variety of colors for every taste and preference.
Overpronation Running Shoe with Gel Cushioning
The Asics GT-2000 4 is a core runners most prized possession with its superior balance of cushioning and stability that comes with a supportive fit.
- Comfortable and lightweight uppers that are breathable and flexible for a secure and comfortable fit.
- A Guidance Trusstic system for enhanced gait efficiency to improve overall performance.
- The rearfoot and forefoot gel provides excellent shock absorption and supports reducing stress on the feet and lower limbs.
- A FluidRide midsole offers a smooth and comfortable ride.
- A durable outsole for excellent grip on hard floor surfaces.
- The Asics GT-2000 4 has a few color options available.
Comfortable Running Shoe for Overpronation
The Saucony Omni 13 is a comfortable running shoe that provides effective shock absorption and cushioning for Overpronation.
- Comfortable and lightweight synthetic and nylon uppers with all over the breathable mesh and reduced forefoot stitching.ng.
- A dual density EVA foam midsole and Powergrid heel to toe cushioning for enhanced comfort, support, and shock absorption.
- A Rundry moisture wicking interior to keep your feet cool and dry throughout your run.
- The fully decoupled SRC crash pads also provide exceptional shock absorbency and support.
- The Saucony Moni 13 is available in three different colors.
High Traction Running Shoe for Overpronation
The Mizuno Wave Inspire 12 running shoe ensures high traction and excellent support for overpronation.
- A lightweight and good looking running shoe that is comfortable and breathable.
- The AP and EVA midsole provided stability and cushioned support reducing stress and strain on the feet.
- Exceptional cushioning, arch support and stability for overpronation.
- The durable outsole provides the best traction capabilities.
The Advantages of a Good Running Shoe for Overpronation
Overpronation can turn into a major concern for runners if not treated or managed properly. A runner who overpronates stand a bigger chance of having an injury and are susceptible to many other foot conditions. Choosing an appropriate running shoe is a runners protection against injuries and support against foot conditions that may develop or occur as a result of overpronation.
As with any runner, the greatest risk is shock and strain to the feet from the impact of running, particularly on hard floor surfaces. Runners with improper shoes most likely deal with plenty of aches, pains, and injuries to their feet, lower limbs and back.
Shock absorption is the most important feature of any running shoe for any foot type and should always be considered first when choosing a running shoe.
Overpronation mostly occurs in people with flat or fallen arches because of excess weight as well as genetic deformity. Overpronation in itself cannot cause much harm, but it does very well affect the body’s kinetic chain causing pain and injuries. Overpronation is also one of the leading causes of knee pain.
When you wear the best shock absorbing shoes that provide adequate comfort and support for Overpronation, such as a Motion Control or Stability shoe you can avoid injuries and pain caused by overpronation and flat feet.
As We can Gather
Excellent shock absorption in a running shoe reduces the strain on your joints and muscles and therefore eliminates the risk of injury and damage. You can have al ook at this video on how to run to prevent excessive shock on the knees and feet.
In conclusion, the right running shoe for Overpronation will prevent pain and injuries as well as provide comfort and support while correcting overpronation giving you a more natural stride.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for the Best Running Shoes for Overpronation
- What exactly is Overpronation
- How to Prevent Overpronation Injuries
- Choosing a Running Shoe for Overpronation
- Features of a Running Shoe for Overpronation
- The Best Rated Running Shoes for Over Pronation
- Running Shoe for Overpronators
- Running Shoe for Overpronation
- Overpronation Running Shoe with Gel Cushioning
- Comfortable Running Shoe for Overpronation
- High Traction Running Shoe for Overpronation
- The Advantages of a Good Running Shoe for Overpronation
- As We can Gather