High Arches and Injuries
If you have high arches or arches that are stiff, you may be more susceptible to injuries of the bone on the outside of your feet ankles or legs opposed to people with flat arches who tend to sustain soft tissue injuries on the inside of their lower body.
What exactly is a Cavus Foot, or High Arched Foot, you can read about it in, Foot Health facts.
How do High Arches Affect You
The most common issue with high arches is that a high-arched foot also called a Cavus foot provides very little shock absorption, so there are much more impact and stress on the foot, leg, ankle, and knee.
Deformities such as Hammertoe, Claw Toes, and Mallet’s toes are more likely to occur in high-arched runners; these deformities may lead to a condition called sub-metatarsal bursitis that can cause pain during activity.
A Cavus or High-Arched Foot may also suffer from Plantar Fasciitis which is a pain in the heel area because of inflamed Plantar Fascia tendons.
There are also many different and chronic Achilles tendon conditions and issues associated with high arches or Cavus feet because the higher inclination of your heel bone can cause trauma to the Achilles’ tendon with every step that you take.
A Heel Spur may also develop at the attachment of your Achilles Tendon.
Almost all your muscles that course down to the lower limbs are subjected to an increase in pressure because they have to overcompensate for the loss of adaptability and shock absorption which is created by the high-arched foot.
Benefits of a High Arch
Although there are many Cons to having a high-arched foot, there are also a few small benefits. A high arched foot is much faster and more powerful than a low or neutral arched foot.
This foot type works very well for sprinters, jumpers, and athletes in sports where the sudden change of direction is required. A tennis player or basketball player that needs to move fast and change direction quickly will benefit much more from a high-arched foot.
The high-arched foot type is also attached to many record holders of the 5K road races.
Features of a Good Running and Walking Shoe for High Arches
- High Arch Support – Make sure to choose a running shoe that provides arch support specifically for a high arch.
Support Features – A good running and walking shoe for high arches do not just need to provide exceptional shock absorption and excellent cushioning, but it also needs to limit pronation to prevent your ankles from twisting.
Shock Absorbency – A high arch runner faces the same issue as a low arched runner when it comes to shock absorption, their feet lack the natural ability to absorb shock, and therefore a shoe that compensates for this is required.
Motion Control – High-arched individuals also tend to supinate or under pronate therefore a running shoe that is more neutral and does not have too much stability control is most advisable.
Breathability – As with any running shoe good breathability and ventilation is required to keep your feet cool and comfortable.
Cushioning – Cushioning, particularly in the heel and ball of the foot area is a necessity when you have a high arch.
What Type of Running and Walking Shoe is the Best for a High Arch
Individuals who have a high arched foot have the tendency of the foot rolling outwards slightly when walking or running.
A high arch foot type is usually very rigid and tight which results in the foot not being able to absorb shock adequately or correctly.
With a lack of shock absorption many complications in the feet, lower limbs, and Achilles tendons can occur.
With running and impact activities there will be a more excessive strain on the joints and muscles as well in a person with a high arch.
Therefore the main aspect to look for in the best running, and even walking shoe, for a high arch is a shoe that provides the maximum amount of shock absorption.
Features such as ample cushioning, arch supported a thick shock absorbent outsole and curved last in a shoe will provide the necessary support and comfort.
With a high arched foot, one should rather avoid stability shoes and devices and opt for neutrally cushioned shoes that allow for more natural pronation rather than trying to control pronation.
There are many running and walking shoes available today that cater specifically for the high arched foot and provide the right cushioning and shock absorption, here are a few excellent features to consider in a running shoe for high arches;
Reviews: Best Walking & Running Shoes for High Arches
Here are some of the top choices of running shoes that will provide the best support and comfort for high arches;
Lace into the Brooks Glycerin 17 for the experience of a lifetime with all the support and comfort features aimed at a high-arched foot type.
- The Brooks Glycerin 17 falls in the minimalist shoe category and provides reliable cushioning and support for high-Arched runners.
- The adjustable saddle construction allows for a more snug and comfortable fit.
- A soft blown rubber forefoot gives lightweight cushioning and grip, and the rubber outsole improves traction capabilities.
- The 3D fit overlays on the uppers provide more structural support and create a lightweight effect.
- A full-length Super DNA midsole provides excellent shock absorption and energy return for comfort and support.
- The mesh uppers are lightweight and breathable.
- In addition, this new model features a DNA Loft full-length midsole, as well as a two stretch bootie, for a better fit.
- This shoe is available in different color options.
The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 is known for its legendary performance and premium technology in creating the cushioned and shock absorbent classic running shoe.
- The lightweight and durable mesh uppers of the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 will ensure an easy running experience with cool and dry comfort.
- A durable rubber sole is used to improve grip and traction.
- The cushioned midsole of the Pegasus 33 provides plush comfort and supportive shock absorption.
- The Nike Zoom Air units enhance deflection impact and further cushions the foot giving the feeling of running on air.
The Asics Gel Venture 6 is a Trail running shoe for the neutral runner with high arches that needs that extra cushioning and traction.
- The uppers of the Asics Gel Venture 6 is manufactured from lightweight and breathable mesh with brightly colored overlays.
- The Gel cushioning systems do provide not only the ultimate comfort and support but also exceptional shock absorption.
- A removable sock liner allows you the option of using your own orthotics.
- The trail-specific outsole provides multi-surface traction and is made from high-abrasion rubber for improved durability.
A light stability running shoe, the Saucony Guide 10 has Everun top-sole construction making it perfect as an everyday trainer and running shoes.
- Manufactured from breathable fabric and synthetic materials with a durable Tri-Flex outsole for flexible traction and grip.
- An EVERUN topsole for continuous cushioning and light stability technology.
- The dual-density SSL EVA midsole provides superior cushioning and shock absorption for great comfort and support.
- The SRC landing shoe attenuates impact and protects your knees, ankles, and feet against pressure.
- The Saucony Guide 9 is available in different colors to choose from.
The Asics Gel Phoenix is a podiatrist recommended running shoe that carries the APMA seal of approval. This running shoe will provide you with the support and comfort of an orthopedic shoe as well as the performance of a running shoe.
- The Asics FluidRide technology in the midsole gives a combination of bounce back and cushioning to spread out weight and pressure evenly.
- The Gel technology provides great shock absorption capabilities and the comfortable and breathable uppers ensure a snug and custom fit.
- Two layers of memory foam lines the collar molding to your heel for a comfortable and custom fit.
- A ComfortDry sock liner with antimicrobial properties keeps your feet dry and free from odor.
- The AHAR (Asics High Abrasion Rubber) is placed in all the critical areas of the shoe for improved durability.
- Reflective materials placed on the shoe for better visibility.
This is the ideal motion control walking shoe, which is just what you need with a higher arch. the cushioning in this model is just right, not too much or too little, to accommodate a low arch type.
- Breathable and lightweight mesh uppers with soft synthetic overlays.
- A seamless internal lining and an Ortholite collar, tongue and heel.
- The ROLLBAR stability positioning system aids with motion control and enhances stability when walking.
- ABZORB cushioning provides comfort and shock absorbency.
- An Ortholite foam insert supports and cradles your feet.
- Ndurance rubber outsole with rubber compounds in high wear areas.
7 Slightly Cushioned High Arch Support Running Shoe
The Nike Dual Fusion is a lightweight running shoe that provides just enough cushioning and stability support for a higher arched foot.
- Lightweight and breathable mesh and synthetic upper construction.
- The dynamic midfoot system ensures that you have a superior fit and only the best support.
- The dual-density system along with a firm Phylon carrier and a soft Phylon core gives you just enough cushioning for a smooth ride.
- The Waffle pattern design on the outsole ensures a good grip, and smoother heel to toe transition while enhancing durability.
The Propet Stability Walker offers you the best stability and just the right amount of support for a higher arch.
- Available in a lightweight and soft, smooth or nubuck finish leather, in a variety of colors.
- A padded collar and tongue provides optimal comfort and keeps your heel in place.
- The wider forefoot and heel base allows for much better stability when walking.
- The rubber outsole has a multi-directional tread for better traction.
- A plush and comfortable insole for just the right amount of support.
For the best support and motion control, whether you are walking or running, the Asics Gel Kayano 25 is top of the range with their new model.
- Cool and breezy mesh and synthetic uppers, available in a variety of colors.
- A Dynamic DuoMax system for better stability and support, while reducing weight.
- The Guidance Line Midsole technology and the Impact Guidance System enhances gait function.
- Flytefoam gives supreme bounce and returns energy to your feet, fighting fatigue.
- Durable outsole for better traction.
- Comfortable and supportive insole.
10 High Arch Motion Control Walking Shoe
The Brooks Addiction Walker is one of the most popular walking shoes, particularly for foot conditions and arch support.
- Flexible and comfortable full grain leather uppers with a fabric lining and removable sock liner.
- The HydroFlow technology provides cushioning in the midsole and better shock absorption with the gooey fluid units in the heel and forefoot.
- A full-length MoGo midsole increases cushioning and energy return.
- The MC Pod configuration enables your midsole and outsole to set your foot up in a balanced position for better motion control.
- A durable HPR green, environmentally friendly and wet and dry traction rubber outsole.
The New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 running shoe is the perfect combination of comfort and durable support for an individual who has a high arch and tends to supinate.
- Bootie constructed uppers with breathable mesh.
- A fresh Foam midsole for better support and comfort.
- The Ortholite sock liner keeps your feet cushioned and dry.
- High traction rubber outsole and a supportive midsole.
- Ideal to prevent supination in a high arched foot.
The most supportive and comfortable running shoe, the Vionic with Orthaheel technology offers you the best in comfort for a high arch.
- Mesh and synthetic uppers for ventilation and a lightweight fit, with a moisture-wicking interior lining.
- Mesh covered EVA insole for support and comfort.
- A flexible outsole and good arch support for a higher arch.
- Orthaheel technology and a contoured, arch-supportive footbed.
A well-constructed shoe for individuals with a high arch, requiring extensive support.
- A breathable and lightweight upper construction with no-sew overlays to prevent irritation.
- There is a Segmented crash pad in the heel and a midfoot section with Omega Flex goorves for better support and comfort.
- The specialized BIOMOGO midsole absobs shock and provides excellent support.
- A durable and hard wearing, high traction rubber outsole.
- Some color variations are availble.
The Asics Gel Kayano 25 offers you all the best features in a running and walking shoe that offers higher arch support and comfort.
- Synthetic and mesh uppers that are lightweight and breathable with a comfortable and arch supportive Ortholite footbed and Flyte Foam technology.
- Rear and Forefoot shock absorbing Gel technology.
- An Impact Guidance System for better Gait Performance.
- The AHAR Rubber outsole is durable and abrasion resistant.
This model from New Balance is one of your best options ion athletic shoes for a higher arch.
- Genuine flexible leather uppers with breathable inserts and a lace-up system for a secure fit.
- A shock absorbing rubber outsole and a Dual-density foam collar.
- The Encap PU ring and EVA core heel proved stability and support.
- An arch support and cushioned insole.
The Propet X-strap is stability walking shoe with dual layers of cushioned insole and a secure X strap closure system, for High Arches and Overpronation.
- Leather and synthetic uppers with a Velcro Closure for a secure fit.
- An extra depth and wider width availability design.
- Double layered insoles for support and comfort that are also removable.
- Durable and shock absorbing rubber outsole.
- Low top and arch support.
Individuals with higher arches have an increased risk of suffering stress fractures and small cracks in the bones of their feet and lower limbs, therefore, it is vital that the correct footwear is worn.
Most neutral running and walking shoes are perfect for people with high arches because there are designed with cushioning in mind rather than stability, they are also softer and more flexible.
Index Table: Top Rated Walking & Running Shoes for High Arches
|1||Brooks - High Arch Running Shoe||Brooks||100|
|2||Nike - Running Shoe for High Arches||Nike||90|
|3||Asics - Neutral and High Arch Trail Running Shoe||Asics||92|
|4||Saucony - Stability Running Shoe for High Arches||Saucony||90|
|5||Asics - Arch Supporting Running Shoes||Asics||90|
|6||New Balance - Motion Control Walking Shoes for a High Arch||New Balance||86|
|7||Nike - Slightly Cushioned High Arch Support Running Shoe||Nike||80|
|8||Propet - High Arch Stability Walking Shoe||Propet||80|
|9||- Arch Support Walking and Running Shoe||92|
|10||Brooks - High Arch Motion Control Walking Shoe||Brooks||90|
|11||New Balance - Running Shoes for a High Arch||New Balance||90|
|12||Vionic Orthaheel - Arch Support Running Shoes||Vionic Orthaheel||80|
|13||Brooks - High Arch Running Shoe||Brooks||94|
|14||Asics - High Arch Running Shoe||Asics||92|
|15||New Balance - High Arch Athletic Shoes||New Balance||86|
|16||Propet - Stability High Arch Walking Shoe||Propet||82|
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- High Arches and Injuries
- How do High Arches Affect You
- Benefits of a High Arch
- Features of a Good Running and Walking Shoe for High Arches
- What Type of Running and Walking Shoe is the Best for a High Arch
- Reviews: Best Walking & Running Shoes for High Arches
- 1 High Arch Running Shoe
- 2 Running Shoe for High Arches
- 3 Neutral and High Arch Trail Running Shoe
- 4 Stability Running Shoe for High Arches
- 5 Arch Supporting Running Shoes
- 6 Motion Control Walking Shoes for a High Arch
- 7 Slightly Cushioned High Arch Support Running Shoe
- 8 High Arch Stability Walking Shoe
- 9 Arch Support Walking and Running Shoe
- 10 High Arch Motion Control Walking Shoe
- 11 Running Shoes for a High Arch
- 12 Arch Support Running Shoes
- 13 High Arch Running Shoe
- 14 High Arch Running Shoe
- 15 High Arch Athletic Shoes
- 16 Stability High Arch Walking Shoe
- In Conclusion
- Index Table: Top Rated Walking & Running Shoes for High Arches
I am a Long-distance hiker, a writer and an editor whose favorite topics include backpacking, trail running, boots and various footwear.
Last update on 2020-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API