When you have flat feet, you may experience some pain and discomfort when running or walking; you will also need to be added support to prevent injuries and damage caused by strain and impact.
What Are Flat Feet
Flat feet or fallen arches occur when the arches of your foot collapse and the entire sole of your foot comes into complete or near-complete contact with the floor surface.
The arch of the foot provides an elastic connection between your forefoot and rearfoot that protects you against the majority of the forces that is incurred on your legs during weight bearing of the foot.
When this arch collapses or becomes stretched and worn out you end up with what we call a flat foot.
How Does Running and Walking Affect Flat Feet
Issues that arise from having flat feet has more to do with overpronation which is the excessive inward rolling of the feet, than the flat feet themselves.
When you overpronate, your ankle joints are extended which causes the bones in your lower legs and upper legs to rotate inwards placing stress that can cause pain in your ankles lower limbs, hips and knees.
Individuals who overpronate are much more susceptible to conditions such as shin splints, back problems, and tendonitis in the knees.
How to Treat Flat Feet
Flat Feet or fallen arches is a condition that can be genetic or caused by being overweight and is not yet treated medically.
Using orthotic braces or insoles are the two most effective ways of treating the symptoms of Flat Feet.
Supportive stability and motion control footwear are also used to correct the adverse effects of this condition and to prevent over pronation.
The Best Shoe Types for Flat Feet
As an estimate of 20% of the population suffers from flat feet, it is necessary for those individuals in the shoe manufacturing business to also cater to this target audience. Shoes that will provide support and comfort for an everyday routine is critical when you have flat feet.
Because the arch of the foot in a flat foot is either very low or completely collapsed arch support which mimics the standard foot curve is required.
A shoe with a raised or arch supportive insole or various medical orthotic supports should do the trick.
As with running and walking shoes, a Stability Control shoe with a foam lining at the instep provides ample cushioning for a low or flat arch as well as a more comfortable fit.
A Motion Control shoe is normally advised for people with flat feet that tend to overpronate profusely.
The support that a Motion Control shoe provides along the sides of the arches is also ideal for comfortable walks and runs.
It is well advised always to make sure that the shoe fits comfortably and snugly.
There are many features to consider when choosing a running shoe that will provide the best comfort and support for a flat foot;
Features of a Good Running Shoe for Flat Feet
- Outsole – The outsole of the shoe is flexible in the toe area and firmer in the midsection and arch.
- Heel – A rigid heel counter supporting the heel bone.
- Toe Box – A wide enough toe box as flat feet is typically wider than normal or high arched feet.
- Motion Control – Motion control and stability are the two most important factors for flat feet.
Reviews: The Best Flat Feet Walking and Running Shoes
Running with Flat Feet should no longer cause you pain or discomfort when you choose one of these running shoes for Flat feet;
1 Running Shoe for Low Arches and Flat Feet
The Brooks Adrenaline GTS 19 helps to prevent over-pronation and provides exceptional stability, support and motion control for flat feet.
- The uppers are made from breathable mesh that keeps your feet dry and cool.
- The durable rubber sole ensures good traction and grip along with providing some shock absorption.
- An extended Crashpad ensures perfect heel-to-toe transitioning and controls motion to improve overpronation.
- The element linings in the interior wick away moisture keeping feet cool and dry.
- The Omega Flex Grooves provide more natural forefoot movement and improved fluidity.
Balancing cushioning and stability the Asics GT 2000 6 is a comfortable and supportive running shoe that is most suitable for mild to overpronators.
- The Asics GT 2000 6 features the well known Trusstic system to enhance gait efficiency and the rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning systems to provide cushioned support and shock absorbency.
- The uppers consist of breathable mesh material with a cushioned tongue and collar for a more comfortable fit.
- The Duomax system provides excellent support and stability.
- Finished off with a rubber sole the Asics GT 2000 6 will also provide exceptional grip and durability.
A perfect running shoe for flat feet the Brooks Ariel and Beast accommodates wider feet and provides excellent stability and motion control along with cushioned comfort for a fantastic running experience.
- Comfortable and breathable mesh uppers and a sock liner that wicks away moisture and keeps the feet cool, fresh and dry.
- The BIOMOGO DNA Midsole provides cushioned comfort and stability.
- A Diagonal Rollbar delivers maximum control for the most natural motion and movement.
- A segmented crash pad gives you smoother heel-to-toe transitioning while the Omega Flex grooves provide forefoot fluidity.
- An abrasion resistant HPR Plus rubber outsole provides durability in all the high wear areas.
4 Motion Control Running Shoe for Flat feet
The Asics Gel Foundation 13 is a running shoe that provides enough forefoot space to accommodate orthotics and also combines its own technology to provide the best support for people with flat feet or lower arches.
- The rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning systems along with the SPEVA midsole provides exceptional shock absorption and bounce back while enhancing movement.
- The Duomax system provides better stability and support to reduce weight and increase platform support.
- An enhanced Trusstic system and vertical flex grooves improve the overall gait efficiency.
- The well constructed seamless uppers with moisture wicking breathable liner keep your feet dry and comfortable.
The Nike Lunar Glide is a comfortable and supportive shoe that will provide just the right amount of stability and cushion for flat feet or lower arches.
- A lightweight and breathable shoe the Lunar Glide is made from Flyknit material and structured with Flywire cables for a comfortable and stable fit.
- The plush Lunar foam provides excellent shock absorption and supportive cushioning.
- A durable rubber outsole with excellent grip capabilities.
- The Lunar Glide features a modern and sleek design available in many different colors options.
You cannot go wrong with the Saucony Guide 10, it is a superbly flexible and comfortable running shoe that will accommodate a flatter foot type, by offering the best cushioning and arch support.
- Completely mesh uppers that offer the most lightweight and breezy fit.
- A Tri-Flex sole that is flexible and serves good traction.
- The EVERUN topsole provides continuous cushioned support as well as light stability.
- Available in a few color options to choose from.
A new model by Brooks, the Launch 5 is a lightweight, comfortable and highly breathable walking shoe with the right support features for a flat foot, particularly a wider flat foot.
- Very lightweight synthetic and mesh uppers that offer exceptional ventilation.
- This shoe offers a medium width size, perfect for a slightly wider, flat foot.
- BioMoGo DNA midsole for cushioning and support.
- The Rebounding rubber under your feet creates a spring in your step.
- Available in a variety of color options.
The Asics Gel Venture 6 is an ideal running shoe for trail running, so for those individuals who enjoy a run outdoors, this shoe will give you the best performance.
- A trail-specific rubber AHAR outsole that is abrasion resistant and has reversed lugs to ensure the best traction on all terrain.
- The sock liner is removable, enabling you to use your own orthotics.
- A Gel cushioned rearfoot system aids in attenuating shock during impact.
- Leather and mesh uppers for a lightweight and breathable fit.
- Available in a few color options.
The Skechers Go Walk 4 is one of the highest rated walking shoes, by many happy customers. I similarly found the features in the Skechers Go Walk 4 to be quite ideal for individuals who have a flatter foot or fallen arch type.
- Lightweight and breathable, soft mesh uppers that are flexible and supple.
- Features a cushioned and arch supportive midsole.
- A Goga Max high rebound footbed for energy return
- The footbed is likewise lined with bamboo to control odor and bacteria.
- The uppers are similarly seamless to reduce chafing and irritation.
- A durable rubber sole offers excellent traction.
An orthopedic walking shoe that is perfect for a variety of foot conditions, and health conditions that cause foot ailments, as well as for a flatter foot.
- Comfortable and flexible mesh and synthetic uppers for ventilation and a snug fit.
- A contoured orthotic insole offers the best in anatomical arch support.
- The gel padding under the heel ensures excellent shock absorption and support while the ergonomically designed sole is well cushioned.
- Enhances stability and aids in facilitating the natural movement fo your feet.
The Asics Gel Cumulus has some excellent features to support and accommodate a flat foot.
- A durable and shock absorbing, high abrasion AHAR rubber outsole.
- Rearfoot and forefoot Gel Cushioning.
- Excellent shock absorbing capabilities and a cushioned comfort insole.
- Textile and mesh uppers for breathability and lightweight comfort.
This model from New Balance is perfect for a flat and wider foot as it is available in wider width options for every foot type.
- Breathable and lightweight textile and synthetic uppers construction.
- Smooth interior linings with moisture wicking capabilities.
- A durable and high traction rubber outsole.
- Motion control tehnology, ideal for flat feet.
- A padded and breathable mesh tongue and supportive collar.
- Cushioned with Rollbar support for better pronation control.
The Spirit and Winner Plus from Dr. Comfort are two orthopedic support athletic shoes that are ideal for running when you have flat feet.
- Lightweight design athletic shoe with soft and comfortable leather uppers and lace-up closure, the Spirit also has a Velcro closure strap.
- Included is a comfortGel insert, for cushioning that you can remove to use your own orthotic devices.
- A thick and durable rubber outsole for high traction.
- Extra widths and depth design availble in wider widths and extended size.
The Good News for People with Flat Feet
Running or Walking with flat feet can be quite frustrating, and many individuals feel pain or discomfort. Fortunately, this no longer has to be endured.
With the proper running shoes, you can alleviate almost all the symptoms that accompany flat feet and enjoy a pain-free and comfortable walking or running experience.
The most important aspects to keep in mind when selecting a shoe is that flat-footed individuals usually overpronate. Therefore you cannot go wrong with a stability shoe that provides some motion control and light cushioning for shock absorption.
The listed shoes are all exceptional shoes that have characteristics that aim specifically at accommodating flat-footed individuals, as well as neutral and overpronation.
Wearing the correct shoes will not only relieve pain and discomfort but will also help to prevent further damage and injuries and keep your feet and lower limbs healthy as well as pain-free.
Comparison Table: Top Shoes for Flat Feet
|1||Brooks - Running Shoe for Low Arches and Flat Feet||Brooks||92|
|2||Asics - Stability Running Shoe for Flat feet||Asics||82|
|3||Brooks - Wide Width Running Shoe for Flat Feet||Brooks||92|
|4||Asics - Motion Control Running Shoe for Flat feet||Asics||90|
|5||Nike - Running Shoe for Flat Feet||Nike||84|
|6||Saucony - Flat Foot running Shoe||Saucony||88|
|7||Brooks - Medium Width Flat foot Walking Shoe||Brooks||92|
|8||Asics - Gel Cushioned Running Shoe for Flat Feet||Asics||92|
|9||Skechers - Lightweight Walking Sneakers for Flat Feet||Skechers||86|
|10||Orthofeet - Orthopedic Walking Shoes for Flat Feet||Orthofeet||86|
|11||Asics - Gel Cushioned Running Shoe||Asics||82|
|12||New Balance - Motion Control Running Shoe for Flat Feet||New Balance||88|
|13||Dr. Comfort - Orthopedic Flat Feet Running Shoe||Dr. Comfort||88|
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- What Are Flat Feet
- How Does Running and Walking Affect Flat Feet
- How to Treat Flat Feet
- The Best Shoe Types for Flat Feet
- Features of a Good Running Shoe for Flat Feet
- Reviews: The Best Flat Feet Walking and Running Shoes
- 1 Running Shoe for Low Arches and Flat Feet
- 2 Stability Running Shoe for Flat feet
- 3 Wide Width Running Shoe for Flat Feet
- 4 Motion Control Running Shoe for Flat feet
- 5 Running Shoe for Flat Feet
- 6 Flat Foot running Shoe
- 7 Medium Width Flat foot Walking Shoe
- 8 Gel Cushioned Running Shoe for Flat Feet
- 9 Lightweight Walking Sneakers for Flat Feet
- 10 Orthopedic Walking Shoes for Flat Feet
- 11 Gel Cushioned Running Shoe
- 12 Motion Control Running Shoe for Flat Feet
- 13 Orthopedic Flat Feet Running Shoe
- The Good News for People with Flat Feet
- Comparison Table: Top Shoes for Flat Feet
Last update on 2020-04-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API