Moccasins Style and Origin
The Moccasin describes a heelless shoe made from soft leather with either a hard or soft flexible sole made from leather or rubber. The basic shape of the moccasin is crowed with the puckered seam at the top designed in a U-Shape with stitching accents and usually adorned with beads, ornaments or embroidery.
Because the Moccasin shoe style originated from the American Indian Tribes, they usually only had a soft leather sole which was ideal for forest grounds and hunting. This allowed them to feel the ground underneath their feet while still having their feet protected and kept comfortable.
Today however the Moccasin has advanced into availability in a soft or hard sole, usually made from rubber, but has mostly kept its upper leather design.
Moccasin Types and Designs
Here are a few of the main original styled types of Moccasin Shoes that you will find today;
- Hard Sole – The Hard Sole Moccasin has the typical Moccasin Style and is often made of Bison leather in the past, usually consisting of two or more layers of hide. Yet today the hard sole may be made from rubber or synthetic materials that still remain quite flexible and durable.
Soft Sole – The Original soft sole design worn by the American Indians had a soft leather sole made from the same leather as the top of the shoe. These soft soles were often made from a single piece of leather. The Soft soled Moccasin is still available today but is a bit more resilient and durable.
Work Boot Moccasin – The industrial work boot, such as the Thorogood American Heritage, for example, has a Moccasin style toe, although it has no other features that are similar to the Moccasin shoe, besides the toe and of course being made of genuine leather.
Driving Shoe Moccasin – Still keeping the original Moccasin Style many driving shoes have the Moc toe design and soft smooth or suede leather uppers, but rather with a lug rubber outsole that provides excellent grip for driving and much more flexibility and comfort.
Moccasin Boot – The Moccasin is available in a boot style as well, even from the early years. The boot can be ankle or knee high and usually has long hanging tassels or fringe detail along with buttons and other adornments.
Features of a Good Moccasin
- Moccasin Leather – Moccasins are originally made from soft tanned hides of deer and buffalo with rawhide from the Bison used in two or more layers for the sole. Today however the Moccasin can be made from cowhide genuine leather that has a smooth, nubuck or suede finish, as well as synthetic leather options and vegan leathers.
Interior Lining – The Moccasin, in general, does not have an interior lining, other than on the footbed which is sometimes cushioned, but not originally. However you do get Moccasin styles lined with fleece or sheep fur for warmth.
Outsole – Originally the outsole would be made of the same leather as the uppers, or for a harder sole from a few layers of Bison leather. Today however you have the choice of a synthetic or genuine leather soft sole, or a hard and flexible synthetic or rubber outsole.
Decoration – The whole idea behind the Moccasin is the decorative adornments, from the most basic laces to beading, fringes, and embroidery.
Reviews: The Best Moccasins for Women
Below are some of the most exquisite Moccasins styles and types that you will find;
Minnetonka is one of the top brands in Moccasin style shoes, that boast moccasin shoes in their original vintage fashion. The Vintage Kilty Sude range offers many color options to choose from and comes with a durable rubber sole that offers excellent grip and is likewise ideal for driving with.
- Soft and supple genuine suede leather uppers with a vintage moccasin style and white stitch accents and fringe details.
- Inside is a moisture wicking leather lining and a soft and comfortable cushioned footbed.
- The rubber outsole is designed with grip pods and flex grooves for improved grip and to double up as a driving shoe.
- Available in many different color options in the sued leather design.
A luxuriously plush and comfortable Moccasin style slipper with a soft sole for leisure wear at home, or use as a slipper.
- Genuine leather moccasin style uppers with lace up decorative details.
- Available in a light chestnut or tan color option.
- Made from dyed sheep leather with a soft sheep fur interior lining.
- The soft sole is also made from the soft sheep leather in a darker color shade.
- Genuine leather uppers made from quality full grain leather with leather lace decorations and a Moccasin style toe with accent stitching.
- A durable and high grip rubber outsole designed for driving and everyday casual wear.
- Inside is a comfortable cushioned Ortholite footbed, and cushioni soft technology.
- Available in a light tan, red or navy color choice.
Inornever Suede Fringe Moccasin Boots Mid Calf Women's Round Toe Flat Heel Ladies Winter Fashion Snow Booties Yellow 9 B (M) US - Moccasin Boot
A stunning Vintage, original Moccasin style knee boot from InorNever with gorgeous fringe details and a soft padded footbed for comfort.
- Made with durable faux suede leather that boasts long fringe decorative details and metal studs at the top entry.
- An easy slip on and off boot that is knee length.
- Inside is an extra comfortable soft padded lining for your comfort.
- Ideal for any occasion and especially for cooler weather conditions.
A stunning and adorned smooth leather moccasin in the original moccasin style with beading detail and laces as well as stitching accents.
- Smooth cowhide leather uppers available in a range of color to choose from.
- Colorful beading details and contrasting stitching and laces.
- A durable and high grip lug rubber outsole.
- Inside is a comfortably padded insole and smooth interior lining.
Index Table: Top Rated Moccasins for Women
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- Moccasins Style and Origin
- Moccasin Types and Designs
- Features of a Good Moccasin
- Reviews: The Best Moccasins for Women
- Minnetonka Women's Kilty Mocassin,Coral,9 M US - Rubber Sole Original Style Moccasin
- Old Friend Women's Soft Sole Moccasin, Chestnut, 7 M US - Slipper Style Moccasin
- Clarks Women's Dameo Swing Driving Style Loafer, red Leather, 10 Medium US - Moccasin
- Inornever Suede Fringe Moccasin Boots Mid Calf Women's Round Toe Flat Heel Ladies Winter Fashion Snow Booties Yellow 9 B (M) US - Moccasin Boot
- Minnetonka Women's Thunderbird Smooth Moccasin,4 M US,Ice - Smooth Leather Moccasin
- Index Table: Top Rated Moccasins for Women
I am a Long-distance hiker, a writer and an editor whose favorite topics include backpacking, trail running, boots and various footwear.
Last update on 2020-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API