Whether you are walking for exercise, recreation, or have to walk long distances to a certain destination, a good walking shoe is absolutely necessary.
Walking and running both place strain on your feet, ankles, back, knees and hips, which can be reduced and prevented by using a supportive pair of Walking or running shoes.
Walking has a less severe impact than running, yet when it comes to walking for long distances you need a shoe that offers good SUPPORT and that is DURABLE.
The Terrain that you are walking on will have a significant effect on the type of Walking shoe that you choose;
Outdoor and Hiking Terrain
Walking outdoors or Hiking is generally done on uneven and dangerous terrain that poses many hazards, such as;slippery and wet surfaces, Loose stones, sharp objects, large rocks and uneven terrain.
In these cases, you need a durable walking shoe that offers good traction, underfoot protection, as well as comfort and support features such as arch support and shock absorbency.
When it comes to outdoor terrain you are similarly faced with wet, hot, or very cold conditions which will likewise, have its input on the type of Walking shoe you choose.
For cold and wet weather, good insulation and waterproofing such as Gore-Tex are advised, while in hot and humid weather breathability and a moisture wicking lining will be ideal.
Hiking Boot vs. Trail Runners for Outdoor Walking;
Any hard surface, whether it is tiled, or concrete will cause severe impact with every step you take, and can be damaging to your feet as well as resulting in pain and foot fatigue.
The pain feature that you need in a shoe for hard surfaces is SHOCK ABSORBENCY.
Shock absorbency can come in many forms, thick rubber outsole, heel cup, arch support, Gel forefoot, and heel inserts, cushioned insole and even air bubble technology all aids in offering shock absorbency, along with cushioned comfort and support.
So in the end on a hard surface for long distance walking, you want something that protects your feet against the impact preventing shock and fatigue.
How a Good Walking Shoe Protects your Back and Knees
It may not seem feasible that a shoe can actually prevent back and knee pain, well when it comes to walking and running, it can prevent and treat back and knee pain.
A proper walking shoe offers the correct arch support for your foot type, and the best fit, keeping your feet well aligned and your walking motion natural, prevent excessive pronation.
On the other hand proper cushioning and shock absorbency prevents impact on your feet, ankles, heels and back, which reduces the chances of pain and damage.
So taking into consideration these few factors, you can understand the importance of the proper walking shoe for long distance walking.
Characteristics of a Good Walking Shoe
- A Cushioned, Gel, Eva,Foam or Air midsole, for impact absorption.
- Moisture-wicking lining.
- High Traction outsole with grooves or patterns for the specific surface you are going to be walking on.
- A comfortable and roomy toe box.
- Mesh leather or synthetic upper construction with a lace-up system for a proper fit.
- Breathability features such as mesh or perforation holes.
- A supportive heel collar usually padded for comfort.
- Supportive heel cup to protect your Achilles tendon.
Reviews: Best Long Distance Walking Shoes
Trail Walking and Running Shoe
Asics is one of the best brand2s in Walking and Running shoes that I can recommend to you, and this model2 is perfect for outdoor Trail walking and running.
- Features highly flexible and comfortably fitting mesh and synthetic uppers that offer excellent breathability.
- There is rearfoot Gel technology to attenuate shock during impact for smoother transitions.
- A removable and highly comfortable sock liner allows you to use your own orthotics and inserts as you desire.
- The AHAR rubber outsole has reversed lugs and is highly durable and slip resistant on uneven terrain.
- Many Color options available.
Slip on Walking Shoe
The Skechers Go Walk Joy is a Highly supportive and comfortable, slip-on walking shoe, with cool and lightweight mesh uppers for a soft and flexible fit, as well as excellent breathability features.
- Soft and flexible textile mesh uppers that are highly breathable with a slip on design.
- Very lightweight and flexible.
- Features the 5 generations responsive cushioning and high-rebound Goga Max technology for cushioned comfort and shock absorbency.
- A comfortable padded collar and moisture wicking, soft inner lining.
- There is likewise an additional parametric midsole for even more cushioning.
- Available in a few color choices for your perusal, all with the high traction white rubber outsole.
Velcro Closure Walking Shoe
Something a bit more on the orthopedic side, I have chosen the ever-popular and much sought after, Brooks Addiction walker with the easily adjustable Velcro strap fit, and lace up for men.
- Ensures the fit and feel of a running shoe, in the style of casual all-day wear walking shoe.
- Genuine durable, full grain leather upper construction that ensures a flexible and comfortable fit, with good breathability features.
- A durable, and energy-returning, MoGo midsole for better-cushioned support.
- A highly durable and slip resistant rubber outsole.
- Comfortably cushioned insole and moisture wicking lining to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
- The Velcro closure straps ensure a more customizable and easy fit.
- Available in a neutral WHITE, or BLACK color leather.
Trail Walking Shoe
The Merrell Siren Edge is one of the most popular outdoor and trail walking shoes, specifically for women.
- An athletic style hiking shoe with seamless upper overlays and a color-pop webbing style as well as ghillie laces.
- A breathable and moisture wicking mesh lining along with a molded Nylon arch shank for support and stability.
- The bellow tongue aids in keeping out all dirt and debris.
- The cushioned heel ensures excellent shock absorbency.
- An ECO FIT contoured footbed, with organic odor control and MERRELL AIR cushioning in the heel.
- A lug Vibram rubber outsole that offers superb traction.
- There are similarly plenty of color options to choose from.
Comfort Walking Shoe
Perfect for all walking terrain, even outdoors or on hard surfaces, the Saucony Omni-Walker is a very popular walking shoe for women.
- Leather and comfortable textile uppers and breathable.
- A durable, high traction and lug rubber outsole ideal for all surfaces.
- The Walk Trac patented outsole is likewise designed for smoother transitioning when walking.
- A lace-up vamp for a snug fit and a mesh comfortable tongue.
- Features a Bio-Mechanical comfortable fit, and cushioned insole for support.
- Available in either a WHITE or BLACK color style.
Long Distance Walking Shoe
The Ryka Dash 3 and Brooks Glycerin 17 is designed for walking and plenty of it. This shoe features a durable and highly supportive design for walking.
- Synthetic breathable mesh and leather overlay uppers in a few fun gradient screen print options, in vibrant colors.
- Has an Anatomical precise-return footbed for energy return and excellent shock absorbency.
- The midsole features molded EVA for cushioned support.
- Full rubber coverage that ensures perfect traction, durability and flexibility, with rounded edges.
- Lightweight, and highly supportive for long-distance walking.
Long Distance Stability Shoes for Walking
- Leather and synthetic uppers are lightweight and breathable.
- Available in larger sizes and wider widths for all foot types.
- A double extra volume insole for added cushioning and support.
- The insole is removable so that you can use your own orthotics.
- A high traction, durable rubber outsole.
Running Shoes for Long Distance Walking
The Gel cushioning and Impact Guidance System on the Asics Gel Cumulus 21 makes it the ideal shoe for long distance walking.
- Lightweight and well-ventilated fabric uppers.
- An impact guidance system for better gait efficiency with every step.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot Gel cushioning supports your feet.
- your feet and provide excellent shock absorbency.
- The Outsole is made from AHAR high abrasion resistance rubber with a reinforced toe and heel/
Outdoor Long Distance Walking Shoe
If you like to do walking outdoors on different trails I would highly recommend the Nike Terrex.
- A lightweight and cushioned EVA midsole.
- A continental rubber outsole with a outdoor trail MTB inspired lug pattern tread.
- The welder uppers are abrasion resistant.
- Lightweight and well-ventilated textile and synthetic leather uppers.
Index Table: Top-Rated Long Distance Walking Shoes
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Asics® - Trail Walking and Running Shoe||Asics||97|
|2||Skechers® - Slip on Walking Shoe||Skechers||98|
|3||Brooks® - Velcro Closure Walking Shoe||Brooks||97|
|4||Merrell® - Trail Walking Shoe||Merrell||97|
|5||Saucony® - Comfort Walking Shoe||Saucony||97|
|6||Brooks® - Long Distance Walking Shoe||Brooks||98|
|7||Propet® - Long Distance Stability Shoes for Walking||Propet||96|
|8||Asics® - Running Shoes for Long Distance Walking||Asics||97|
|9||Adidas® - Outdoor Long Distance Walking Shoe||Adidas||97|
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- Walking Terrain
- How a Good Walking Shoe Protects your Back and Knees
- Characteristics of a Good Walking Shoe
- Reviews: Best Long Distance Walking Shoes
- Trail Walking and Running Shoe
- Slip on Walking Shoe
- Velcro Closure Walking Shoe
- Trail Walking Shoe
- Comfort Walking Shoe
- Long Distance Walking Shoe
- Long Distance Stability Shoes for Walking
- Running Shoes for Long Distance Walking
- Outdoor Long Distance Walking Shoe
- Index Table: Top-Rated Long Distance Walking Shoes