Many women are trying new things that seemed to be taboo for women back in the day.
Hiking is one of those adventurous hobbies that only used to be for men.
Today women are enjoying much different and some dangerous outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, mountaineering and much more.
Hiking is not only an excellent way to enjoy nature, but it also teaches you to overcome your internal doubts and trains your mind to reach a goal despite the challenging trails, blisters, and exhaustion.
Hiking can be quite an empowering experience especially for women who are seen as the less capable and more fragile gender.
The Importance of the Right Hiking Shoes
Hiking footwear is the most important piece of hiking gear that you will need, so choose wisely and invest well in a good pair of hiking shoes.
A hiking shoe forms the contact point between you and the trail you are going to be hiking on so it is essential for your comfort, protection and the full enjoyment of the experience to have footwear that matches your hiking goals.
Different Types of Hiking Shoes
There are different types of hiking shoes each meant for a specific purpose or hiking goal;
- Trail Running Shoes are hiking shoes that have been designed for running on a variety of terrains including dirt trails and uneven surfaces. They are not exactly a hiking shoe but many who enjoy a few short day hikes on easier terrain opt for these lightweight and breathable shoes.
- Hiking Shoes are a happy medium between a lightweight and breathable trail running shoe and a durable, and supportive hiking boot. Hiking shoes are suitable for short and long distance hiking and backpacking in easy to moderate terrains.
- Hiking Boots are characterized by their more durable construction, rubber soles and their height which is just above the ankle or longer.
- Most hiking boots are heavy because of their sturdy construction, but there are many much lighter models available today. Hiking boots are suitable for hiking or backpacking long and a short distance on rough terrain and in any weather condition.
- Mountaineering Boots are suited best for higher alpine environments, winter hiking and also general mountaineering. They are constructed with full shanks and very stiff soles and are usually well insulated for snow and extreme cold conditions.
- Approach Shoes are similar to hiking and trail running shoes with the exception of a sticky rubber sole designed specifically for rock climbing, hiking on rocky off-trail surfaces and scaling rocky peaks.
Key Features of a Good Hiking Shoe
A good hiking shoe, in general, should have a durable and sturdy construction.
- Lightweight – Weight will differ, but it is better to opt for a more lightweight hiking shoe especially if you are hiking a long distance.
Water Resistance – waterproof mesh liners can prevent wet feet and discomfort.
Unique Lacing Systems – A great quality in a hiking shoe to take off and on quickly.
Breathability – As you walk long distances your feet can heat.
Comfort – Some technologies can substantially reduce foot fatigue, injuries and give good support. The last and most important part is a durable outsole that offers good grip on different surfaces.
Reviews: The Best Women’s Hiking Shoes
We have researched and listed the top rated hiking shoe models for each of the different types of hiking shoes
Salomon enhances outdoor sports by converting new ideas into new technologies and expanding limits and possibilities. The Salomon X-Mission is a Trail running shoe created using the best technology and highest quality materials to boost your performance.
- Manufactured from breathable textile and synthetic materials.
- The rubber sole offers 3D grip and traction on uneven and tough surfaces.
- A padded collar for a more comfortable fit.
- The quick lacing system and lace pocket ensure and easy on and off.
- The molded EVA midsole gives you enhanced cushioning for trail environments.
- A SensiFit securely wraps around your foot.
- The Sensiflex technology ensures a better and more snug fit.
- Available in different colors.
The Merrell Siren Sport 2 is a hiking shoe that beckons to be taken on an adventure. A nimble, comfortable and lightweight shoe that is waterproof and fits securely to make sure you have lasting comfort and protection.
- The uppers are made from breathable leather and mesh materials.
- A Vibram outsole for better grip and traction on different surfaces.
- A low hiking boot that has breathable mesh panels with bellows tongue that will lock out moisture and debris.
- The shoe has been treated with FRESH odor treatment to keep your feet fresh and odor free.
- An Omnifit lacing system for a more customized fit.
- The Ortholite anatomical footbed ensures more comfort and support.
- A mesh lining that wicks away moisture.
- Available in a variety of colorful designs.
When you are in Mountaineering, there is no room for mistakes. Therefore you will want the best high-performance equipment. The Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX offers you only the best in technology and construction.
- The uppers are made from a high-quality Suede material.
- A Vibram outsole for better traction on uneven surfaces.
- The ErgoFit system gives Omni-flex progressive flex which allows natural motion and the best support.
- A Rear randing locks your heel securely so that you can climb with confidence.
- The advanced midsole system provides the highest level of shock absorption and improves sensitivity.
- A very lightweight and durable shoe.
- Color variety available.
The Keen Targhee II is an ankle height hiking boot that offers four-wheel-drive performance for your feet. The aggressive outsole features 4mm lugs providing the best traction and grip, and the ESS shank gives fantastic torsional stability for a more secure ride.
- A mid-cut height that increases ankle support.
- The ESS Torsional shank provides better stability on uneven terrain.
- The rubber outsole has 4mm lugs for better traction.
- The uppers are made from the finest quality leather.
- A breathable waterproof membrane and a protective toe cap.
- The rear pull-on loop ensures easy on and off.
- The EVA dual density foam bed is comfortable and removable.
- A compression molded EVA midsole for added support.
The Vasqua Grand Traverse is a sporty hiking shoe designed for speed and performance on a variety of terrain. This shoe gives you the comfort of an athletic shoe combined with the great performance of an approach boot.
- The uppers are made from breathable synthetic materials.
- A Vibram Ibex outsole for excellent grip and traction on rough terrain.
- A dual-density EVA foam footbed for comfort and support.
- A durable and comfortable molded EVA midsole.
- Available in three different colors.
If you are someone who enjoys hiking or simply just the fresh air and the outdoors, then this is the perfect hiking boot that will keep you comfortable and remain tough and durable.
- This shoe reduces strain on your feet knees and ankles and absorbs shock on impact.
- A Slip-resistant, Multi-Sport TC5+, Vibram outsole for exceptional grip and traction.
- The M-select DRY technology will keep moisture out and stay breathable.
- Not just a great shoe for hiking but also the Best Travelling Shoe for Women.
The Newton Ridge From Columbia is a lightweight Hiking Boot with a feminine style, just for women.Full grain suede leather uppers with mesh inset for enhanced breathability.
Waterproof with a Techlite midsole that provides superior cushioned comfort and is extremely lightweight.
An adjustable lace-up closure for the perfect fit.
A durable slip-resistant rubber outsole, perfect for any terrain.
Lightweight and cool for a long day’s hiking.
For the best grip on any terrain, you can trust the Ariat Terrain H2O. A superior hiking boot that is waterproof, with all the durability and protection trimmings for a serious hiking trip.
- Available in a copper and distressed brown color.
- Oiled full grain leather uppers that are constructed with a waterproof membrane.
- Inside there is a breathable moisture wicking lining to keep your feet cool and fresh.
- The collar is padded for a snug and comfortable fit.
- The Dura Tread outsole is self-cleaning and offers superior grip on all terrain.
The Keen Voyageur is as much tough and protective, as it is comfortable for your delicate lady feet.
- Mesh and synthetic uppers designed for a flexible and breathable fit.
- Pull-on loops at the heel and tongue allow for easy on and off.
- The 4mm multi-directional lugs on the non-marking rubber outsole, ensure that you have the best grip out there.
- A dual-density compression molded EVA foam midsole offers luxurious cushioned comfort.
- A Torsion stability ESS shank for better support on all terrain.
- The removable metatomical dual density EVA footbed supports and cradles your feet.
- Patented toe protection to prevent abrasions and bumps from hurting your toes.
The perfect outdoor and hiking shoe. The Terrex from Adidas is lightweight, comfortable, breathable and offers excellent traction on a slippery and uneven terrain.
- Comfortable and breathable mesh uppers with synthetic overlays for maximum support.
- The molded sock liner enhances comfort and ensures a superior fit.
- A lightweight EVA midsole with an Adiprene insert for long-term cushioning and exemplary shock absorption.
- The Traxion rubber outsole ensures superior high traction and the most optimal grip even in wet conditions and in all directions.
Not the most well-known brand, but yet so worthy of mentioning. The Mountain warehouse Hiking boot is making the fast track to popularity.
- Durable and lightweight synthetic and mesh uppers for breathability to ensure your feet stay cool and dry.
- Highly durable and slip resistant outsole, ideal for outdoor trails.
- Ventilating mesh interior lining to prevent sweat and odor.
- Comfortable and cushioned footbed.
- Secure lace-up system for a snug fit.
- Extra stability and traction.
A cool and comfortable, lightweight hiking shoe, perfect for the ladies.
- For comfort, you have an EVA footbed, and metatomical design with dual density PU.
- The outsole is non-marking and has the perfect tread for hiking.
- Inside there is a breathable leather lining to keep your feet dry.
- Lightweight and breathable synthetic and mesh uppers.
- Breathable waterproofing Membrane.
The siren sport from Merrell is a sporty hiking shoe that will allow you to be quick and nimble on your feet on all terrain.
- Leather and synthetic uppers that are breathable and comfortable.
- Thick and durable, high grip rubber outsole for outdoor trails.
- Comfortable cushioned insole, that is removable and ideal allowing you the use of your own orthotics.
- Very tough and quality construction to withstand all outdoor elements
Index Table: Top Rated Women’s Hiking Shoes
From the above selection, you have a top pick for every type of hiking boot and shoe. Your choice of hiking shoe will depend on your hiking preference and terrain. All of the above selections have the best technologies and are constructed from the highest quality materials to give you a shoe that will offer excellent performance.
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- The Importance of the Right Hiking Shoes
- Different Types of Hiking Shoes
- Key Features of a Good Hiking Shoe
- Reviews: The Best Women’s Hiking Shoes
- Salomon Women's X-Mission 3 W Trail Runner Hiking Shoe
- Merrel Women's Siren Sport Q2 Hiking Shoe
- Scarpa Women's Mont Blanc Pro GTX Mountaineering Boot
- Keen Women's Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot
- Vasqua Women's Grand Traverse Approach Hiking Shoe
- Merrell Women's Moab Ventilator 2 Comfortable Hiking Shoe
- Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Waterproof Hiking Boot
- Ariat Women's Terrain H2O All Terrain Hiking Boot
- Keen Women's Voyageur Comfortable Hiking Shoe
- Adidas Outdoor Women's Terrex AX2R Outdoor and Hiking Shoe
- Mountain Warehouse Women's Adventurer Hiking Boots for Women
- Keen Women's Terradora Waterproof Hiking Shoe
- Merrell Women's Siren Sport Q2 Lightweight Hiking Shoe
- Index Table: Top Rated Women’s Hiking Shoes