There are many women today who need to wear wider width footwear. Most people with flat feet or fallen arches also tend to have wider feet. Many foot conditions such as bunions and bone deformities may also be a cause for you needing a wider width shoe to reduce pressure on the affected areas. Many company’s design shoes in different width sizes for you to choose from, usually a narrow, medium or wide fit.
Table of Contents for the Best Wide-Width Walking Shoes
Causes of Wide Feet
Over time the size and shape of your feet can change, and your feet may become longer and, or wider. In the case of women when they get pregnant a hormone called relaxin is released to make their ligaments more flexible, in some women this causes their feet to grow in width and length which can be permanent. In some cases gaining weight, suffering a foot injury or certain medical conditions can also cause the shape of your feet to change usually resulting in a flatter and wider feet. At the end of the day, it does not matter what your foot shape or size is, what is important is that you wear footwear that is comfortable and that supports your feet thoroughly.
Features of Wide Shoes
When you go to your shoe store you will need to ask the salesman for his ranges of wide width walking shoes, usually there should be quite a few brands that will give you this option. You will have a choice between narrow, medium or a wide fit. Make sure to fit the shoes and walk around in them before making a purchase.
The Benefits of an Appropriate Wide-Width Walking Shoe
Walking alone can put much stress and strain on your feet and lower limbs, the impact on your feet from walking can also affect your knees and lower back. Most people believe that regular training shoes or sneakers are good enough to use as walking shoes. Unfortunately, this is not quite accurate because if you are going to be doing regular walking even for short distances, you will need an appropriate shoe with some added features. As with any other walking shoe, the comfort and support features will remain the same the only difference is that you will now have to cater for a wider foot. The two most important characteristics of a good walking shoe are stability and shock absorption. A good walking shoe should have a broad and comfortable fit to accommodate your foot type and be well cushioned for comfort and shock absorption. The sole of the shoe must be durable and offer good grip on different surfaces as well as stability to keep your body alignment in place. A roll bar is also a necessary feature in a great walking shoe which helps to prevent overpronation and over supination especially when you are flaking long distances. Breathability is another option to look at, as walking may cause perspiration which can also be quite uncomfortable. Lastly, you will need to find a brand of shoe that has a wider fit, which should not be too difficult.
The Top Rated Wide-Width Walking Shoes for 2016
We have researched and designed a list with reviews on some of the most suitable walking shoes for women that have wider feet;
- The uppers are made from soft, flexible and breathable textile materials with decorative stitching details.
- The outsole is flexible and comfortable offering good stability and traction.
- A rear heel pull for easy on and off.
- Lightweight resalyte cushioning for shock absorption and comfort.
- Available in black, black and white, gray and navy colors.
- Orthaheel technology for better support and comfort.
- Lightweight durable synthetic mesh.
- A podiatrist-designed orthotic footbed for a better and more supportive fit.
- This shoe helps to realign your feet back into their natural position.
- The lightweight EVA midsole reduces pressure on the feet, ankles and knees by absorbing shock.
- The durable rubber outsole has a patterned tread that offers good grip on any surface.
- Available in many colors.
- The uppers are manufactured from durable and flexible Elastane and breathable cotton.
- Motion control technology for added protection and stability.
- Seamless internal lining and ortholite foam collar, tongue, and heel.
- Lightning Dry moisture wicking lining.
- A comfortable and supportive orthalite foam insert.
- Rollbar stability posting system to prevent overpronation and over supination.
- A Ndurance rubber compound on all the high-wear areas on the outsole.
- Rubber outsole for excellent grip.
- Available in black, gray and white colors.
- Full grain leather uppers with a ForeFoot stretch Zone for extra comfort to the forefoot.
- Forefoot and Rearfoot HRC cushioning with a Strobel Board that assists in the later stages of the gait cycle by reducing the impact on the heels during the strike with responsive cushioning.
- A compression molded EVA midsole and Heel ProGrid with Respon-Tek technology for exceptional shock absorption.
- The XXTM 900 outsole with Walk Trac technology gives your solid grip and excellent traction.
- A perfect walking shoe for those suffering from knee or lower back pain.
- Available in three different color designs.
- In addition this is also the Best Shoe for Nurses who need the extra width and support for walking all day.
- Breathable leather and mesh uppers.
- The X-Sole Relief Technology gives excellent comfort and relieves pain.
- The Patented biomechanical features all work together naturally to reduce pressure and strain on the knees as well as relieving pain and slowing the progression of osteoarthritis.
- This shoe was developed in association with rheumatology experts.
- The Flexure Zones in the Outsole and the Flex-OA technology allows for normal foot motion when walking.
- The X-Sole allows more natural movement and barefoot comfort.
- Available in gray and bluecolors.
- Leather uppers with a cool mesh lining for breathability.
- A lightweight design for easy movement.
- The DMX foam cushion insole is supportive and comfortable and can be removed for the use of your own orthotics.
- Added Opti-Flex Zone for improved forefoot flexibility.
- A durable outsole for excellent grip.
- Cushioned collar for added comfort.
- The uppers are made from breathable synthetic materials.
- A slip resistant and shock absorbing outsole.
- Fluid Ride technology that reduces impact and absorbs shock.
- Rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning eliminate shock and allow for movement on multiple planes when your feet are transitioning trough the gait cycle.
- Vertical flex grooves for enhanced performance.
- This shoe is rated as one of the Best Walking Shoes for Knee Pain.
- The leather uppers are water resistant to keep your feet dry.
- An antibacterial orthotic insole to keep your feet dry and fresh.
- More breathable because of the mesh lining and sock liner.
- Orthaheel motion control technology.
- Soft cushioned EVA midsole.
- A flexible rubber outsole is offering excellent traction.
- This shoe is APMA Seal approved.
- A wider fit and better cushioned support and shock absorbency making this one of the Best Shoes for Flat and Wide feet.
- Available in six different color variations.
- Full grain leather uppers that are perforated for better ventilation.
- The brushed Nylon lining ensures more comfort.
- A faster and personalized fit with the speed lacing system.
- A durable heel counter and padded tongue and collar.
- The arch supporting Eva midsole and removable PU insole give great support.
- The rubber outsole is slip resistant and offers excellent grip on different surfaces.
- A stable walking shoe that is also the Best Walking Shoes for Elderly Women.
- The uppers are soft and flexible made from the finest quality leather.
- The rubber outsole offers good grip and traction.
- An Eva midsole for added comfort and support.
- A removable insert that provides extra cushioning.
- The external and internal heel counters provide stability and support.
- A comfortable and breathable shoe.
- Many colors available.
- Breathable mesh uppers with trendy looking overlays.
- A gel padded heel for better shock absorption.
- The EVA footbed ensures cushioned comfort and great support.
- The new flex construction ensures a more comfortable and personalized fit.
- A durable and flexible rubber outsole for excellent grip on many floor surfaces.
From the list mentioned above, you can see that there are some excellent brands of walking shoes available each with their own unique features and characteristics. All the listed shoes cater fro people with wider feet, some may come in different widths other are a wider fit.
Table of Contents
- Table of Contents for the Best Wide-Width Walking Shoes
- Causes of Wide Feet
- Features of Wide Shoes
- The Benefits of an Appropriate Wide-Width Walking Shoe
- The Top Rated Wide-Width Walking Shoes for 2016
- Skechers Women's Go Walk Walking Shoe for Wider Feet
- Vionic Women's Motion Venture Orthaheel Walking Shoe for Over-Pronation Wide Feet
- New Balance Women's WW847V2 Wider Width Walking Shoe
- Saucony Women's ProGrid Integrity ST2 Wider Fit Walking Shoe
- Dr.Comfort Women's Sandy Flex-OA Wide Walking Shoe for Knee Pain and Osteoarthritis
- Reebok Women's Reeshift DMX Ride Wide D Wide-Width Walking Shoe
- Asics Women's Cumulus 18 Wide-Width Walking
- Vionic Orthaheel Women's Walker Wide Width Walking Shoes
- Propet Women's W2034 Wide-Width Walking Shoe
- Propet Women's W3851 Wide-Width Walking Shoe
- Skechers Women's Performance Go Walk 3 Walking Shoe for a Wider Fit