When you select a pair of shoes, particularly for walking or running two major factors will influence your choice. The first is body mechanics, which is your degree of pronation, how much your foot rolls towards the middle of your body when you walk or run. Second is your body size which is the weight that your feet have to carry which in some cases can cause flat feet or fallen arches. Shoes are the most important piece of equipment for someone that walks or runs; they provide grip, stability, comfort, and flexibility. When your feet overpronate every time your foot hits the ground when walking or running for an extended period, you can suffer severe damage or even sustain an injury. Motion control and stability shoes both address this issue, they both aid in correcting pronation at different levels and degrees.
Comparison List for the Best Motion Control Walking and Running Shoes
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Motion Control Stability Walking Shoe||Asics||94|
|2||Motion Control Running Shoes||Saucony||92|
|3||Walking Shoe with Motion Control||Mizuno||97|
|4||Motion Control Trail Walking Boots||New Balance||98|
|5||Motion Control Walking Shoe||Brooks||94|
|6||Motion Control Running Shoe||New Balance||95|
|7||Motion Control Walking and Running Shoes||Vionic Orthaheel||94|
What is Motion Control in a Shoe
Shoes that are labeled “Motion Control” shoes in the shoe industry refers to the most corrective shoes in that range. Motion Control shoes are designed specifically to correct and reduce excess motion and overpronation. Overpronation is mostly suffered by people with flat feet or fallen arches. With runners and people who walk quite a bit overpronation, and flat feet can cause the knees and ankles to torque inwards which can create further problems.
Pronation and Motion Control Shoes
Pronation refers to the inward movement of your foot as it rolls when you walk or run inorder to distribute the force of the impact of the ground. Your foot rolls inward and comes into complete contact with the ground, supporting your body weight. Pronation is a critical function for proper shock absorption helping you’re to push off evenly from the front of your foot. Pronation is a natural motion of your foot, but the size and shape of your arch can affect pronation by either causing under-pronation (Supination) or over pronation.
A person with a normal arch will do best with a stability shoe and does not need much motion control, whereas a person with a flat foot or low arch will require a motion control shoe as they tend to overpronate. Individuals who supinate or under pronate have a higher arch and need more cushioning and natural foot motion. Thus a Motion Control Shoe is the best option for someone who overpronates or has a flat foot and lower arch.
With normal pronation, your foot only rolls inward about fifteen percent and the outside of the heel makes the initial contact with the ground. With overpronation, your foot rolls inward more that the fifteen percent as with normal pronation. This, in turn, means that your feet and ankles struggle to stabilize your body and there is no efficient shock absorbency. At the end of the gait cycle, your foot pushes off the ground using mainly the big and second toe rather than the entire forefoot causing more work for the second and big toe. Overpronation can cause many foot conditions and deformities as well as injuries, wearing the correct shoes when walking or running when you overpronate is absolutely critical.
Shoes that have straight or semi-curved lasts and arch supports, along with good motion control features are your best option. A person who overpronates should always opt for a shoe that has motion control characteristics.
What Characterises a Good Motion Control Shoe
Shoes designed for motion control have a much thicker midsole that is made off a hard material constructed and designed to correct your gait which prevents your stride from rolling inward when your weight is transferred from your heel to your forefoot. Furthermore, because of the thicker midsole, a motion control shoe is also heavier and much more durable than your average running or walking shoe.
Another characteristic of a motion control running or walking shoe is the dense midsole material which usually consists of graphite, plastic or midsole foam.
Best Motion Control Walking Shoes Reviews
We have compiled a list of some of the best available walking and running shoes for women that have been labeled as motion control shoes;1
Motion Control Stability Walking Shoe
If you are looking for women’s shoe with extra stability and better cushioning, you should consider the ASICS Gel Foundation Walker 2.
- The upper portion of this women’s shoes is manufactured from synthetic leather and mesh material which improves breathability.
- This shoe has two layers of memory foam that have been molded within the shoe in order for you to enjoy a perfectly personalized fit.
- A dual-density DuoMax midsole provides excellent support and stability when you are walking.
- The ASICS Gel Foundation cushioning feature has been specially incorporated, so that, it can absorb the shock from the rear as well as forefoot when you take a step.
- A ComforDry sock liner to keep your feet dry and fresh.
- A durable outsole for good grip on any surface.
Motion Control Running Shoes
The Saucony Stabil shoe has incorporated a great mid-sole technology feature called the PowerGrid, which improves the overall walking experience.
- A soft and light premium foam PowerGrid Midsole cushion.
- The SAC crash pad provides many flawless transitions and a firmer heel support.
- The upper portion of the shoe has been constructed with signature technology from lightweight and breathable materials.
- It also has the additional arch-lock and support frame feature, which ensures that you get a superior fit.
- The Comfortlite Sockliner helps to absorb moisture and keep your feet fresh and dry.
- Ann 8mm offset, which places the heel and the rest of the foot at the same height and distributes the cushioning more evenly. Thus, your body remains in a more balanced and comfortable position.
- A durable and sturdy rubber outsole.
Walking Shoe with Motion Control
Mizuno, a company, found in 1906, has always been quite popular in the sports world. The Mizuno Wave Enigma 5 has a great supportive design, which provides an excellent balance to your body while you walk or run.
- Breathable and lightweight synthetic and mesh uppers.
- The Composite Double Fan Wave Technology ensures proper support and stability.
- The mid-sole has a wider base giving you more comfort when running or walking.
- The upper part of the shoe is constructed from synthetic and mesh, which ensures high durability, breathability, and comfort.
- A Vegan Shoe which is eco-friendly.
- A rubber sole that is durable and comfortable.
- The Smooth Ride Engineering will give your feet a smooth rocking-chair-like transition from heel to toe with each step you take.
- A Dynamotion Fit helps the upper part of your foot to move smoothly, with the rest of the foot through the stride correcting any offset.
- Available in different colors.
Motion Control Trail Walking Boots
For the woman who loves walking especially on rough terrain and outdoor trails, the New Balance WW1400V1 is the perfect shoe for you. This shoe has all the required stability and motion control technology as well as many other fantastic features.
- A High Trail boot made with waterproof leather that features a bright pop up collar and visible heel cushion.
- A rubber sole that ensures a good grip on wet and slippery surfaces.
- This boot is covered in a waterproof membrane making sure that your feet stay dry in any weather conditions.
- The Rollbar medial and lateral stability posts ensure the best motion control.
- A compression molded EVA foam midsole for superb comfort and support.
- The Thinsulate insulated lining ensures your feet are warm and comfortable in colder weather conditions.
- Available in gray and brown colors.
Motion Control Walking Shoe
The Addiction Walker provides the perfect fit and comfortable support for an everyday walking shoe.
The Brooks motion control walking shoe has been specially constructed for supporting the lower arches and keeping pronation under control.
- A great Hydroflow feature in the rearfoot and forefoot, which provides a cushion to the foot and acts as a great shock absorber.
- The special award winning MoGo midsole feature further improves the cushioning; it also helps to decrease the degree of shock felt while you are landing and taking off your feet when walking.
- The signature PDRB triple-density feature which is incorporated on the medial side of the shoe gives it a higher level of stability.
- For the better cushioning and flexibility, the company has used a durable, energy-efficient midsole compound.
- A slip-resistant outsole helps to improve your balance in the wet weather.
- Available in three different colors
Motion Control Running Shoe
The New Balance W940V2 are one of the best motion control and shock absorbing running shoes available today. These shoes are designed for people who are moderate or severe overpronators.
- The unique N2 low-to-the-ground cushioning system enhances support and shock absorbency.
- The medial post is built with the new ‘Stabilicore’ technology to ensure maximum stability.
- An Antimicrobial OrthoLite footbed that prevents foot odor and undesired bacteria.
- A very lightweight but sturdy and long-lasting shoe.
- A rubber outsole and forefoot flex grooves for better grip and traction.
Motion Control Walking and Running Shoes
A breathable and waterproof walking and running shoe that will offer you the best motion control to realign your stride. The Vionic Orthaheel has a motion controlling footbed that also offers you exceptional contoured arch support.
- The uppers of this shoe are breathable and waterproof, and the shoe is also lined with a mesh lining and sock liner to enhance breathability further.
- The biomechanical orthotic insole has been designed by a podiatrist and ha an added antimicrobial treatment.
- This shoe will prevent and alleviate ankle pain, knee pain and is one of the Best Shoes for Lower Back Pain.
- The rubber outsole is exceptionally flexible and durable as well as offering excellent traction.
- This shoe provides superior arch support with the Orthaheel technology and contoured footbed.
With the above selection you cannot go wrong, these are the best available walking and running shoes with motion control that you will find. In this list, there are some great brand names with exceptional reviews and high ratings.
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- Comparison List for the Best Motion Control Walking and Running Shoes
- What is Motion Control in a Shoe
- Pronation and Motion Control Shoes
- What Characterises a Good Motion Control Shoe
- Best Motion Control Walking Shoes Reviews
- Motion Control Stability Walking Shoe
- Motion Control Running Shoes
- Walking Shoe with Motion Control
- Motion Control Trail Walking Boots
- Motion Control Walking Shoe
- Motion Control Running Shoe
- Motion Control Walking and Running Shoes